Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, March 2, 2017

MARCH 2nd

My dad is very particular. He likes things just so. In fact, my uncle and I may have joked about wishing the stroke had damaged the obsessive part of his brain (totally in poor taste, I know, but we are a family that copes and heals through laughter). 

When I first brought him home after the stroke, we spent at least a half hour just rearranging decorative throw pillows. He walked around the house spinning ceramic jugs and vases to that just the correct angle was facing out, claiming his decorating taste was clearly more advanced than that of his cleaning person, who hadn't noticed the decor had been angled differently.

When he did his bills they needed to be immediately filed, but he was not yet cleared to walk up and down stairs. So, I headed upstairs to file my dad's bills. 

I opened the wrong file drawer and found a hidden gem--fourteen years worth of monthly calendars. He and I share the same love of a good paper calendar.
These particular DayMinders contain monthly spreads that are lined. For the past 16 years I have been getting him one of these calendars for Christmas and decorating the cover. Keeping a calendar is like keeping a diary. These pages have stories to tell.

5 comments:

  1. It is very likely you would have actually missed your dad's obsessive side had he lost

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure trove of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! :) I'm Shahirah from Malaysia (but currently studying in London). I absolutely love your writings on this blog!!! Can't put enough exclamation marks to prove my point lol. This post is yet another beautiful one. Anyway, I pray to God to grant you patience, strength, and plenty of laughter to go through whatever is ahead of you. I hope you never stop writing! Take care, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find! It tells of a special father/ daughter bond. You knew what kind of gift would please him and he has saved and collected them over the years. I wonder what memories they stirred in you of choosing and personalizing each one. More stories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special find! A treasure full of memories for you both. Continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete