Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, June 5, 2016

CELEBRATION 6.5.16

 
 Charlotte's Web has always been one of my favorite books.  I just love that rascal pig, Wilbur, and his wise friend, Charlotte.  E. B. White clearly crafted their stories with care.  It is one of the few books of which I have carried the opening line in my heart for years: "Where's Papa going with that ax?"

The story begins right in the middle of the action.  There is no better way to begin than right in the middle of the action.

Even when it comes to summer, not just a beloved book.

I am carefully crafting my own story this summer by starting right in the middle of the action.  This first week of summer found me: cleaning the house, furnishing the house with new curtains, re-staining an outdoor table (a past gift from my dad), spreading new mulch, straightening landscape stones, walking through the woods, attending a day long meeting, spending time with family, playing with my pups, visiting the dentist, and having meals with friends. 

I plan to live this summer.  

And when the summer comes to a close, it shall have been filled with all the goodness of a well-crafted story--true friends and good writing: “It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.”

9 comments:

  1. I have read Charlotte's Web at least twice and admit I missed the actionable start as you have described it here. I plan to live this summer too. I'm confident you are right about the memories and goodness it will produce. Thanks Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It begins right in the middle of the action. There is no better way to begin than right in the middle of the action." I love this line. It says so much about what I believe about stories, but also about how it feels to be a teacher and have your year (your life) separated into different stories. Your summer life, your writer life...they are like the different versions of ourselves that we have to put down and pick up in the middle to continue...like books that we read, interrupt, and continue with joy. As always, you leave me thinking deeper thoughts than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your action-filled beginning to summer! And this post also reminds me that it's time to pre-order Melissa Sweet's biography of E.B. White, Some Writer! coming out this fall. Happy summering, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to start the summer. I might see if I can try that.. .maybe I'll have a chance of getting through more of my summer to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great summer ahead! I'm excited that I will get to be a part of this for a few days. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are full of action. Me - I am ready to crawl into hiding. Things might change as the summer starts. :)
    May I say that I have missed your voice, so I am glad you are showing up on the blog again on Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crafting your summer in the middle-a "novel" idea that will reap many rewards, I am sure. Enjoy the lazy, hazy days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best sentences I've ever read..."I plan to live this summer." Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how I just finished school yesterday and as I rolled through saved links tonight, I clicked on this one...
      Thank you again.

      Delete