Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, June 26, 2016

CELEBRATION 6.26.16


I am the best kind of exhausted. This morning, when the alarm went off I wanted to keep on sleeping. But sleeping would mean missing out on my plans for the day—the kind of plans that bring me joy.

The past couple weeks have been filled with joy. 

First, I went on a Choice Literacy writing retreat where I worked and worked until I had fully unearthed the dormant writer inside of me. I was joyfully surrounded by strong, wise, inspirational women who made me want to be a better writer, thinker, person.

Then, I headed to the All-Write Summer Institute where I reconnected with friends from near and far. I serendipitously ended up with a hotel room adjoining an online bestie, which tempted us to stay up, pajama clad, talking into the wee hours of the morning. At first, I worried about being too tired, but then, just like this morning, I realized the joy of spending time with friends was worth the lack of sleep. 

Now, I am sitting at a local Starbucks, clacking away on my Mac amongst my writing group—because traveling is amazing, but so is coming home. It brings me joy that these teacher-writer-friends are worth dragging myself out from under the covers. These are the people who prevent me from retreating into a state of splendid isolation after weeks of learning, writing, and growing on the road. The promise of a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino doesn’t hurt, either.
My Writing Group: Me, Mark (my husband), David, and Jessica (our friends)

10 comments:

  1. So much JOY in your words! It was great meeting you at All Write. Happy writing with your writing group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to have so much inspiration and JOY in life. I love the way that your JOY becomes the JOY of others because of your incredible thinking and writing. I am very lucky to be part of this writing group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm truly glad your summer has been filled with such joy. You deserve that. I'm equally glad that we keep each other from complete and utter splendid isolation. I'm six or seven posts now into my blog inspired by this group of wonderful and like- minded friends. You all have become a large part of my joy as well. Now, let's take this joy forward and extend it to our students next year too. Thanks for sharing your celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write Club gives me a happy, focused to be this summer! I love our conversations, and you always inspire me to go further with my writing! (I'm so full of exclamation points this morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed you, missed everyone, but glad to hear about it nevertheless. And I'm always happy to read your posts, Christy, keeping up with your news. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JOY...JOY!! This struck me..."But sleeping would mean missing out on my plans for the day-the kind of plans that bring me joy." Sometimes we plan and sometimes we accept the gift when it is happening. Like despite adult reasoning to the contrary someone hands you a bottle of their special vacation Fuji water way past a reasonable bedtime as an invitation to joy and you accept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christy, it was great meeting you. I was so inspired when I attended your session. I will definitely be thinking about how to use your ideas for elementary students. I was inspired by you as a person, too- I like the way you choose joy! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any time I get to read your thinking, I find joy. Being beside you, face to face is the best, but I will be content with posts. I love that your group writes together. I'm hoping that means more words will appear on this blog more frequently. Write on, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Choice Literacy retreat, All-Write, writing group in Starbucks - a dream writing week. I'd love a post where you share what you are writing, and your writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely post and I'm so glad you wrote it. Yes, there is joy in traveling and in coming home. It is a rich life you lead, my friend.
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete