Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE

I blame revisiting those vintage slices.  Or perhaps it is the tug of National Poetry Month.  Whatever the cause, I was itching for a writing challenge to invigorate my writing life.  So, I searched the past challenges at 30/30 for ideas.  This afternoon I shared the following challenge (a patchwork of other challenge ideas) with my students:

I explained that this challenge was not required, nor would it be graded.  This evening, my email has been overflowing with notifications that students have posted in the classroom.  I plan to post here every day in addition to my participation in the google classroom community with my students.

4.1.15 | things we carry

“You would be a great mom,” an eighth grader once told me when I was acting as an assistant coach to the girls’ soccer team.  What had I done to earn such accolades?  I coached with a safety pin attached to my sneaker, just in case.  In this case, I had used the safety pin as a tool to tug the drawstring back through the waistline of her shorts.

I carry lots of items just in case. Kleenex, lip balm, inhaler, headache medicine, cash, credit card, ID, cell phone, hair band, house key, gum.  I carry more than I need to carry back and forth to work every day.  Laptop, calendar, planning notebook, professional articles, books, pencil case, flash drives.

I also carry words: You would be a great mom.  A compliment as great as any I can imagine.  And a reminder of someone I will never be.

6 comments:

  1. I always carry things, everywhere & usually say it's because I'm a teacher, ready for as much as I can imagine at least. Fun to continue writing. Me, too, but poetry this month for me. I read that last line & hear you, but I was always taught 'never say never'. Life happens in strange ways. (I made my plane reservations today!-in on Wed. around dinner time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read "I plan to post here everyday." 😃 yes, you do carry a lot of item in that backpack of yours, but it's the words you carry in your mind that weigh the most. Never is a heavy word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really. I love this idea. And I love the topics on your list. And I may have to write with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list too. I may borrow a few ideas as after another March of writing ... I'm still feeling the itch to write every day. So dabbling in poetry with perhaps a few of these ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And a reminder of someone I will never be." Me, too. Except that is not quite true either. I looked up mother in the dictionary to see if it showed expanded definitions. Surely, female parent is #1 but it acknowledges the maternal role we can play as well. I am thinking deeply about this because I think it is a natural pull for us as women. But my definition seeking shows this, too "...term of familiar address for an old or elderly woman." Which sidetracks me with giggles, well Christy, that definition is almost me BUT not you for years to come. I say you are a good Mom to your students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. READ-WRITE-INSPIRE great words for a blog headline!

    ReplyDelete