Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE day six

4.6.15 | aftermath
 
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

I quickly grab for the next book in the stack.  Knowing it will never measure up to Bone Gap, I pull one from the middle of the stack.  A sure thing.  But it doesn't matter how sure the next book is; I just can't shake the images in my head, the words in my heart.  

This is the aftermath of living deeply inside of a story.  It lingers.  It calls me back to its pages again and again.  It does not let go.  I do not let go.

I find myself at the bookstore.  Three copies of Bone Gap cradled in my arms.  I know people who need this story, says the voice in my head.  I must not keep this one to myself.  I have become a Bone Gap zealot.

At the counter, three copies of the same book evoke the question, "What is it about?"  

"So much," I breathe in response.  I am still not entirely sure, I think to myself.  I realize I am missing an opportunity to share my enthusiasm for Bone Gap.  So I gather my thoughts and gush, "It is about a kid in a small town who witnesses the disappearance of a woman, but nobody believes him."  Then, realizing this is nowhere near sufficient an explanation, I rush to add, "The writing in this book exists on a literary plane all its own.  It is classic, but brand new.  It has all the best traits of great Southern American fiction and it takes place here in Illinois."  

The man nods as if weighing his own interest.  He smiles and hands the loaded bag across the counter--a victim left in the wake of the aftermath.  







1 comment:

  1. Guess I need to read this, love books that linger in the mind.

    ReplyDelete