Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, April 6, 2015

30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE day five

4.5.15 | this road
source:wikipedia
Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois
 
I walked this road
more times than I could count.

Several times a week 
for four years
I emerged from Grant Park underground parking
to a sidewalk filled with feet 
covering the same stretch of city
as my own black Converse.

That was before Millenium Park. 
Before the greenery 
divided this road
when the lions could watch over me
as I headed to class
their view unobstructed
from the east side of the street.

I walked this road
more times than I could count.
 
For four years I emerged
from university classes 
in an aging high rise
to a sidewalk filled with energy
that would sweep me back to my car.

That was before the real world.
Before graduation
pulled me away from this road
when my parents watched over me 
as I built my future 
one step at a time
up and down 
this road.

 


1 comment:

  1. This is crafted in a way that pulls me in to that time in your life on that road! This road has happy associations for me from my one visit to Chicago. It is the kind of road that makes an impression. I hope someday we can walk this road together! :)

    ReplyDelete