Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, April 4, 2015

30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE day four

4.4.1.5 | mirror 
 
tough choice, but still my favorite of all of Linda Urban's books

When Linda Urban visited our school, she revealed that she has a magic mirror at her house.  It has been years since her visit, but I believe her story went something like this.
 
One day, Urban wrote words on a slip of paper that she desperately wanted to come true: I am a writer.  Then she tucked that paper behind her mirror to keep it close by, but also hidden.  Knowing those words were there, when Urban looked in the mirror each morning she would think to herself: I am a writer.  Her heart would beat just a bit faster at the thought.  

Day after day she repeated the mantra in her head while her heart listened deeply.  Over time, the words took root and began to grow into actions.  Urban began making choices about how to spend her time--as a writer.  She began living the words she had tucked away.  And they became her truth.

The best part of her visit is that she ended by telling us she suspects we all have magic mirrors in our homes.  I think she's right.


2 comments:

  1. I remember that story. I leave post its to remember other things...like "Return book to Christy," or "pick up Joan." Two weeks ago, when I was so discouraged by the world news, I started posting them on my mirror...completely forgetting Urban's story, but recognizing the power. I was inevitably surprised when I went into the bathroom and saw the note. I always seemed to forget I had put it there the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...repeated...in her head while her heart listened deeply. Over time, the words took root and began to grow into actions." These words you chose to tell Linda Urban's story have me thinking. I am thinking of all the things we tell ourselves the positive and the negative. The things we repeat over and over that something deep in us listens so as careful as we need to choose our words to others, maybe we need to take that same kind of care in what we repeat to ourselves. Your writing often catches me with your storytelling and then spurs me into reflection!

    ReplyDelete