Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

WHAT I LEARNED {from posting vintage slices}

Blogging is where I play with form (poetry, strikethroughs, lists, words combined with images).

I have stories to tell.

Rereading, revisiting, reflecting on past words is powerful.  It is essential to make time to do this more often (and to make time for students to do this).

I have new things to say right now about the same old writing territories.

It is possible to see progressive improvement in writing over time.

Length matters--if I write long for a blog post, there better be payoff for the reader.

Writing preserves the meaning in my moments.

There is a comfortable rhythm to my life that is apparent in my writing over time.

Writing helps me understand my world and my self.

Conclusions are everything.

3 comments:

  1. What I learned from reading your vintage posts is your words still inspire me. They have the ability to reach in and grab my heart and give it a twist. They are timeless. Thank you for this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I commented few times, I enjoyed your looking back Christy. I'm glad to see you had satisfaction in the doing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing preserves the meaning in my moments. I like this reason for writing!

    ReplyDelete