Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 7, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #7


March 8, 2012

Recently, Linda Baie posted on her blog TeacherDance about her one little word for this year: comfort.  Specifically, she posted a Tagxedo about the things that bring us comfort in the classroom. 

My one little word for 2012 is “nudge.”  I chose this word because this year I want to focus on nudging others and responding to nudges as well. Linda’s post was one of those posts that caused me to feel nudged (Linda is awesome like that).

Because the teacher morale on my team has been at an all time low, because I have been dreading team meetings this year more than ever (and NOT because I don’t love my team; I do; I really do—because of what we are up against), because I am not the type of person who can just complain endlessly without taking action towards a solution, because Linda was pointing out a simple idea for change, I HAD to do something.

So, with Linda’s Tagxedo as my inspiration, I made thank you notes for the members of my team.  I have a Hero Arts rubber stamp kit of retro-style stamps.  So, I made cards with typewriters that said, “You’re the type of teacher all kids deserve.” Those teachers who had just received an insulting “satisfactory” rating on their evaluations, got cards with a camera that said, “When I picture an excellent teacher, I picture you, ” or cards with a telephone that said, “I would call you excellent if I were evaluating you.”  I also made cards with the telephone that said, “Teaching is definitely your calling,” and “I always know I can call on you for help.”  Some were given cards with a fan that said, “I’m a big YOU fan,” or “You’re cool.”

Inside each card, I wrote a sincere, specific note telling why I admire each of them. 

Although the stamped image did not remain the same, each card’s front cover looked like this (did I mention I am a bit of a rebel?):

Every single one of my team members had tears in her eyes when she read her card.  I felt a little bit like a fairy duster.  Even if only for a moment, I saw my colleagues recognize their greatness and OWN it. 

If you are here, you are awesome (it’s true, my blog button even says so).  If you are here, it means you are living the life of a reader and writer.  You are participating in a community of readers and writers.  You are growing as a person and as a professional right this very moment.

So, even if only for this moment, please recognize your greatness and OWN it today.   I appreciate you.

3 comments:

  1. I know that your kindness always remains the same. I wonder whether things have changed at your school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then and now, I appreciate YOU! I hope in the years that have passed things are better, but then I think of the wheels of change and it makes me doubt. You are an inspiration! Can't wait to be inspired by you in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are nudging me, Christy. You are so creative and thoughtful. You never know where this might take your team of teachers.

    ReplyDelete