Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, March 6, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #6


March 8, 2011


Friday I was cornered into subbing for a gym teacher afforded the unique opportunity to be a guest teacher in a physical education class.  I was terrified a bit nervous about being outside of my comfort zone.  Luckily, it was a free for all an option day, so I didn’t have to lead any activities.  Instead, I hovered along the wall watching out for flying balls of doom I walked around supervising the various games the students decided to play.  I found that I had lots of time to avoid being annihilated reflect.  It was enlightening to see my students run off some of their energy interact in a completely different setting than the classroom.  I wish I had more opportunities to dodge low flying spherical objects to see my students in a new light. 

5 comments:

  1. I've missed a few, but this offers a delightful chuckle this early in the morning! When I subbed a long while ago, I ended up in pe classes once in a while. You've captured the experience! At least you knew the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, you introduced me to this wonderful revision technique for capturing the unspoken thoughts. I just love the way you play with words!! I learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taken the cross out to a higher level. What a fun read, then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought of using cross outs in this way. Works so well. It reminds me f the humor Dorothy Parker showed in that piece of hers about dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny--writing about the good things and at the same time, the inner self revealed. I've been in this situation, too--subbing for a gym class of boys!! Just walked around and prayed all day!!!

    ReplyDelete