Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, March 5, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #5


March 20, 2011


Most people say
write what you know,
but I don’t know
what I know
until I write it.
So, I write
what I don’t know.

To write fiction,
one has to be willing
to write straight ahead
and not look back.
Well, maybe until at least
a week has passed.
Then you can look back
and be surprised at the words
that came out of your writer’s mind.

Writing fiction is like
walking on a tightrope
into the sky
with no support,
except your own faith
that you will get somewhere.

A story should provoke questions,
not provide answers.
Readers should not look for the author’s message
in a story,
the story IS the message.

3 comments:

  1. I guess this is why I don't write fiction, I can't look forward as I write. I seem to always be looking back in my life. Perhaps those thoughts help me to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful writing. I sigh in awe every time I read it. Story - it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post because I like 1) the friendly form, 2) the thought of one's self being surprised by one's own writing--I am, 3) the picture takes me away to other thoughts, 4) that "story IS the message--lots to think about here, also, and 5) that it stirs my soul to write. Thank you, Christy.

    ReplyDelete