Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, March 30, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #30

March 12, 2012
THE PLIGHT OF THE WORM

I walk into school,
dodging the worms.
It would be tragic
for one to get stuck to the wheel of my cart,
mangled by the plastic treads.

I consider stopping to carry them
each back to the safety of the grass.
But there are so many.
And I am so late.

Inside the building, in the hallway by the courtyard,
I am reminded of the plight of the worm.
The tile is littered with the corpses of worms,
inching their way to the dry safety of the building
by worming their ways through the crack under the door. 

I spot one still moving.
The worm wriggles its wormy self
in an attempt to break free from shiny linoleum.
I pull out my keys.
I open the door.
I am not THAT late.
I pick up the worm.
and transplant him safely in the mulch.

There were so many.
I couldn’t make a difference.
But I made a difference to that one.

I cringe as I exit this building this afternoon
thinking I am sure to see
so many dried little bodies
shriveled up by the sunshine
pounding down on the black pavement.
But as I make my way back to my car
there is not a single worm in sight.

They made it
without my intervention.

Sometimes well wishes
are enough.

3 comments:

  1. Love that last line "sometimes well wishes are enough" That makes us all feel like we can make a difference...at least we can "wish" good fortune. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that last line "sometimes well wishes are enough" That makes us all feel like we can make a difference...at least we can "wish" good fortune. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a difference one worm (or student) at a time. And you continue to do so every day and every year.

    ReplyDelete