Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, March 29, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #24

March 20, 2012
KURT VONNEGUT KNEW MY DOG


I am convinced my dog is the Handicapper General from Kurt Vonnegut’s short story “Harrison Bergeron.” 

I originally sat down

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

at quarter after 5 to write my slice.  I have an arsenal of ideas at the ready.  I am quickly learning from this year’s slicing challenge that knowing what I want to say

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

and knowing how I want to say it are two very different things.  I am struggling with snippets of ideas, bouncing from topic to topic,

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

opening new blank document after new blank document.  I am recovering from the beatdown of a Tuesday teacher’s institute day.

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

I am gathering inspiration—adding to my

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!
arsenal. If only I could complete a thought, I might have a finished slice by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment