Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, March 29, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #20

March 2, 2012
SUPERPOWERS
a student introducing Matthew Cody at our school author visit

Student #1: Maybe superheroes were already thought of when there were dragons.  Maybe people saw the fire-breathing dragons and thought, “Hey, what if humans could do that?”  That might have been the first thought of a superpower.

Me:  Excuse me.  Did you just say, “When there were dragons”?

Student #2: Yeah, like during medieval times. 

True story. 

Yes, this conversation actually happened during my honors language arts class this week.  The invention-of-the-superhero discussion was sparked by our upcoming visiting author Matthew Cody’s book: Powerless.

Though witnessing the realization of way too many several students that fire-breathing dragons did not actually exist was cause for panic considering the upcoming state testing that begins next week amusing, I can’t say it was my favorite superhero conversation of the week. 

Today, in the alternative class I invented, my students begged for independent reading time.  I don’t usually spend class time on the independent reading part of reading workshop on Fridays because school-wide we start the day on Fridays with independent reading. I have to admit, this class contains some of the unlikeliest readers, and I was happy to succumb to their request if it meant they would actually engage in something as productive as reading.

As my heart was bursting into a victory dance I was caving in to their request, a student spoke up.

Student X:  I figured out your superpower, Mrs. Rush.

Me: Oh yeah?  What’s that?

Student X:  Getting us to like reading. 

Me:  I wish I had that superpower!  In reality, I work really hard to make that happen. 

Student X:  You make it look easy.  Like you just hand over a book and we fall in love. 

Sometimes you have to hold on to the best moments and laugh at the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment