Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, March 1, 2015

VINTAGE SLICE #1

Last night I read this Vintage Slices post by Ruth Ayres.  Her words seeped through my skin straight to my bones:
I'm thankful for the years of learning and the Two Writing Teachers community. Because of you, I found my voice and learned my words matter.
Some of my dearest friends were met through slicing. Slicers are a critical piece of my history as a writer.
These words resonate with me.  They are truths Ruth has given me.  They are her truths, but she allows me--invites me, even--to own these truths for myself.  That is the very special thing about Ruth Ayres.  She lives the life of a giver.  This March she is giving to the slice of life community by posting vintage slices as inspiration and encouragement.  

I am not one to pass on a gift, so I am taking Ruth's inspiration and encouragement as fuel for my own writing kick start.  I spent some time digging through vintage slices of my own.  The experience was another example of the universe providing just what I needed, at just the right moment.  Immersing myself in words I crafted was like reaching for the hand of an old, trusted friend.  It was like holding up a mirror expecting to see a reflection, but viewing in it instead an x-ray straight into the core of who I am. 

I was reminded of Ruth's recent post about why she blogs--about how blogging allows her to stay centered and authentic, which transfers to and supports all other writing she does.  By revisiting some vintage slices of my own, I am able to reconnect with my most authentic self.  I can already feel the ignition of a flame burning within me.  This March, I am joining Ruth in selecting vintage slices of my own to post.  My purpose is most definitely different than her determination to give, but it suits where I am as a writer.  Like Ruth's, my purpose is authentic. 

I will center myself, fuel myself as a writer by posting my own vintage slices throughout March.  I will honor the Slice of Life community that has helped me find my voice and learn that my words matter.

Today, I will begin with my first blog post ever: March 1, 2010 (it was no surprise to find in my return to this slice that Ruth had commented)
Monday, March 1, 2010

You're Not a Chick

One of my students wrote his persuasive letter to me, convincing me to play Modern Warfare 2.

The next day in class I overheard him telling his friend, “Chicks can’t play Modern Warfare.”

So, naturally I interjected, “Hey, you told me to play it and I’m a chick.” A weak argument, I know, but the point was to call him out on his sexist statement. In the moment I thought it would be most effective if I pointed out his hypocrisy.

Little did I know, he was not being hypocritical, “You’re not a chick; you’re a woman.”

There you have it: I am old.

If it’s true and I really have reached the threshold between youth and adulthood, I really need to start doing something with my life.

And so, this blog begins with the hope that the act of challenging myself to take the time to make meaning of my world will cause me to breathe more deeply, to open my eyes wider, to talk less and listen more, to be in the moment—each moment of my days, to spend less time on the filler and more time on the good stuff, to live with intention.



10 comments:

  1. Love you are sharing these. Ruth has certainly been inspirational for us, hasn't she. It was her post about sharing vintage slices that convinced me to take up the challenge again. I had convinced myself I wasn't going to this year. But there she was, nudging me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Ruth continues to nudge us on, by her own writing, her life, and her encouragement. Here we all are again!

    The idea of the Vintage Slice has me intrigued, but I am not quite ready to walk down my own memory lane just yet. I will save it for motivation on the 'what the heck have I gotten myself into again?!?!' days yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slices we have written tell a lot about who we were and are. Am I ready to look back and pick some vintage posts? I don't know. I am glad that you will be here during this month, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever you write, my heart races just a bit faster, in anticipation of what you have to say. You shine lights on truths that I have never pondered which make me pause to consider the truths for my life. Thank you for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of posts being trusted, old friends. It will be nice reading these vintage posts because I wasn't around then. Looking forward to a peak into your past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just getting ready for you twitter chat, & thinking how much we've all grown because of that long ago beginning community. There is quite a group who have kept going, wondering about the writing, wondering if the words are going to be important later. I guess you've answered one questions by posting your first slice, Christy. Oh that long time ago, you still sound like Christy! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A neat idea! I was looking through old posts today as I thought about the challenge, and it was so much fun! I almost didn't do it this year, but all those great memories just beckoned me back. Glad you linked to Ruth's post -- I hadn't seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How appropriate that you use this post to realign once again. I'm glad you are filling this space again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words do matter. Then. And now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christy, I love this post! Your words encourage me, inspire me.
    I must say I laughed and laughed at the comment, "You're not a chick; you're a woman." Oh the perspective of students. At least you weren't called a grandma as I was for the first time this year. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete