Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, September 7, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE friends, slaw, routines, art, and WRITERS


celebrate with Ruth Ayres and friends on Saturdays
one | Although I have been less active here at my blog lately, I have been connecting directly with some of my blogging friends.  These connections fuel me. I cannot thank Ruth enough for the community of people with whom she has connected me.   

two | I am beginning to build routines in my professional and personal life that have me feeling far less crazy at the start of this school year.  It feels good to not be suffering from Sunday-night Syndrome, but I am not used to the feeling of calm. 

three | One of my weekly routines has been born out of the idea of slaw.  I love watching cooking shows, but I am a pretty terrible cook.  I noticed that every time chefs on tv present a dish, it is some sort of protein accompanied by a crunchy mix of some sort of veggies.  They often call this a slaw.  It is the part of the dish that really makes it look appealing.  I started taking notice of what was in these slaws and thought about how I could make them at home.  So, on Sundays, I have been chopping veggies for a week’s worth of slaws.  This way, when we go to make dinner, we are simply choosing a starch, choosing a protein, and throwing together an already chopped slaw to go with it. 

four | I am sponsoring the Art Club at my school this year.  Due to a required reading and math intervention class, our building shares an art teacher with another building in our district.  Therefore, art is only offered every other year.  This is the year our art teacher is at the other building, leaving the art club position open.  I have big ideas, now I just have to recruit student artists!

five |  Tonight is our second monthly Teach & Celebrate Writers Twitter Chat!  I am looking forward to connecting with others about Believing in Writers.  It is exciting to see that a buzz of excitement is already brewing amongst like-minded Tweeps!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the chat! And good for you taking on the Art Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can make the chat-have my granddaughter this afternoon, but probably will be free by then. (the time is early for me!) I love your idea of slaw. I chop veggies every day, but maybe I could do them in baggies ahead of time, & then choose how I want my salad. I am a mixture person, love mixing all kinds of things! And I wanted to tell you again how much The Second Life of Abigail Walker is being enjoyed by kids at school. One teachers is using it as a read aloud & then kids are coming to me asking for more like it! Thanks for that, ripples, Christy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great when things fall into place and life loses that hectic, frantic feeling? Keep it on an even keel and keep celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to learn about the chat. Congrats on your list. I am glad your year is settling down and good luck with the art club. Nice meeting you too,

    Mary-andering Creatively

    ReplyDelete