Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, July 19, 2014

in which I limit my CELEBRATIONS to five


CELEBRATE on Saturdays with Ruth Ayres (and friends)
one | I am a WRITER!

I may not be keeping up with my blogs lately, but I have been writing.  I am celebrating the evidence that it’s true—my first article for Choice Literacy has been published in today’s Big Fresh!  What a kick it is to see my name in digital print as a paid writer! 


two | Writing begets writing.

I thought that perhaps since I was busy writing for other purposes, I might lost sight of other writing projects.  However, that hasn’t been the case.  It turns out the more I write, the more I am motivated to write more.  There is something to be said for this sort of momentum.  I want to think more about how to provide this for my student writers.


three | Ruth Ayres is awesome.

I just cannot say enough good about this woman.  Not only did she become my friend (and after years of friendship, I am no less starstruck), but this summer she has introduced me to Brenda Power of Choice Literacy AND invited me to co-host a monthly Twitter chat: Teach & Celebrate Writers.  I think so highly of Ruth that knowing she thinks enough of me to send these opportunities my way is humbling and confidence-boosting all at once.  Please join us for our first chat on Sunday, August 3rd.  The fabulous Katherine Sokolowski will be our guest host to chat about routines and procedures for writing workshop. 


four | I have been painting.

Today is the 4th birthday party for the daughter of a friend who I’ve known since second grade.  One of my first couple paintings as a result of the Kelly Rae Roberts e-course Hello Soul, Hello Mixed Media Mantras was for her.  It contains scraps of my mom’s old sewing patterns and lace from my grandma’s sewing kit.  I think there is something special about capturing the essence of powerful women in art.


This other painting is for a friend who has a tendency to want to control things.  This summer she took a giant leap of faith and it ended up working out in her favor (and mine too, since we will once again be working in the same building). 


five | Connections matter.

Did you know that Deb, elsie, Linda, and Kim are just a tweet away?  After having met these incredible women via blogging and now in person, I am tickled by the idea that we can continue our conversations by simply tapping on a keyboard.  I can even run into Terje in Estonia during Twitter chats!  What wisdom and support at my fingertips! 


I feel like I could go on and on with celebrations this week—no grit needed! 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am also taking Kelly Rae Robert's art class too!! Your paintings are beautiful!!! Congratulations on your published article! That's so exciting!! So much to celebrate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy,
    It's so nice to meet you and such wonderful celebrations! Your art is amazing, I love the look of depth in your pieces! I am looking forward to the #T&CWriters chat, and I love the hash tag, so catchy ;-)
    I heading over to check out Big Fresh, congrats all around!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all your celebrations this week Christy! I am so happy for all of your success. Keep up the great work. I am looking forward to the tweet chats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on becoming a Choice Literacy contributor! Brenda Power and the writers at CL are wonderful! It's an amazing community! Also, I LOVE your mixed media creations. I would love to learn how you do that. I'm going to have to look into that class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have always been a writer and an artist, now more of the world knows it and they can appreciate your immense talent. How thrilling to see your name in print and receive payment for it! You have had quite the celebratory week. You and Ruth make an incredible team, I look forward to the chat and any future collaborations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your art! And the wisdom of all of your celebrations. Looking forward to connecting on Twitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still celebrating with you! It is a marvel that we get to stay connected because it does matter! :-)Also, excited about the Twitter chat you and Ruth are hosting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really excited about this chat. Writing is an area I need so much help in - for both myself and how to help the teachers at our school. It's on the calendar! Looking forward to the learning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your first article with Choice Literacy! It is excellent! I like how you bring out important truths from Kooser's poem

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I read your blog. So many celebrations to admire and join in on. Congratulations on your Choice Literacy work and I'm looking forward to your twitter chat!
    Julieanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited for you and did a little dance when I saw your name on the Big Fresh Idea newsletter. Yeah!!! Your art is beautiful, a tribute to the beauty within you. My heart is warmed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy for you, my friend. What a wonderful set of celebrations; may you return to these summer pastimes during the school year, and recapture every iota of positive energy and peace during the tough times! (PS: LOVE the artwork.)

    ReplyDelete