Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, June 7, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE kicking off summer

CELEBRATE with Ruth Ayres on Saturdays
We are three full days into summer break and I already feel like summer is in full swing.  I think it is the little things that make the difference.  These are some of the little things that have gotten my summer off to a great start.

one | walking






Thursday morning, my husband and I had a meeting at school.  On school days we usually drive separately, but for a meeting like this it would make sense to drive together.  "Let's walk to school," I suggested instead.  So, we did.  It was beautiful out.  The walk forced us to slow down and clear our heads both before and after the meeting.

two | biking

Friday afternoon, I had another meeting at school.  This time, I was cutting it too close to walk to school, but I really couldn't stand the thought of driving when school is so close, the weather is so nice, and I have so little carry with me.  So, Mark dug my bicycle out of the basement and got it ready for me to take to school. I think this might be something I try during the school year a few times, too.

three | eating strawberries

A few years ago, Mark planted strawberries in the backyard.  This year, the plants seem to have finally really taken off.  Friday, I was able to pick a handful of perfect berries to clean and munch on.  Nothing tastes more like summer than fresh picked strawberries.

four | planning projects
This summer I am working on lots of projects.  Some personal, some professional.  I wrote about one of them here.  I celebrate that I have the time and brain space to begin working on projects!


7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very nice week, Christy. Strawberries take time, but the picture shows how they've now flourished. So pretty and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were done on Wednesday. Finally. Seemed like the last week took forever. But now time for me. Although when I look at my calendar, there's not as much "free time" as I would like. I'll be back blogging so maybe that will help me prioritize :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one more week to go. I must say I can feel the calm in your post. I look forward to that once the year is over. Thanks for the great pictures and beautiful celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberries = summer. I am happy that you are on summer mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to bike (maybe walk) with you then enjoy the strawberries. Sounds like it's been a good week to get back to parts of your life you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walk to work everyday and it gives me so much - exercise, thinking time, peace. Enjoy your walks and rides and those berries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! The strawberries look good!
    Walking and biking and strawberries and projects...Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete