a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, April 12, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE the restorative power of spring break


celebrate every Saturday with Ruth Ayres
spring break means time to read books, time to write about books, time to shop for books, time to purchase tickets for upcoming author events at Anderson’s Bookshop

spring break means time to catch up with close friends (even those who live not so close by), time to listen to news about job changes, time to hear stories about kids, time to share adventures of my own

spring break means time to watch instructional videos for my painting e-course with Kelly Rae Roberts, time to create mantras, time to play with paint

spring break means time to explore a new Ali Edwards class Hello Story at Big Picture Classes, time to chat live with Ali herself, time to brainstorm enough new projects to last me beyond the summer

spring break means time to clean out the closet AND the sock drawer, time to sort the winter from the spring, time to get excited about new outfits, time to get motivated about mindful eating

spring break means time to participate in professional development opportunities like Chris Lehman’s poetry workshop (#TeacherPoets), a Twitter chat with Georgia Heard (#LitLead), a Twitter chat with Penny Kittle (#HeinemannPD), a Twitter chat with Donalyn Miller and Teri Lesesne about an article by Richard Allington (#bproots)

spring break means time to reconnect with me, time to recognize who I am, time to think about who I want to become

11 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for spring break, a renewal inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm-m, mine already seems too distant, Christy. Sounds like a terrific time. Have fun with the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you filled your spring break to the brim! But I did enjoy some time to read, time to visit my sister, and time to rest. All much needed! Hopefully, I'll find time to look for archives on some of those Twitter chats. Hugs as you head back to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for Spring Break! I am looking forward to this week off to read and rejuvenate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy spring break. Mine is ending. I might have to use this die for a poems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Spring Break! The gift of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great celebrations! I lurked in the chat with Donalyn and Teri tonight - WOW! So much to take in. Enjoy your week back - as a rejuvenated person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurray for spring break. It was fun last night watching the live TeacherPoets an connecting with you (my first Twitter chat ever). Oh, how I wish I could just come over to listen to your stories and see what you have created in the different classes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a productive spring break! I love spring break. It's the perfect opportunity to regroup. I was cleaning out my sock drawer and closets too. It seems like teaching always gets in the way of life, so it was nice to be able to catch up and breathe for a few days.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy you're back. Spring break is lovely...always.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed your spring break! And I'm so glad to hear your "voice" again. You are working on enhancing ALL your creative vibes. Have fun and look forward to seeing some of your work and read your mantras! I appreciate your comments this week too. I noticed.

    ReplyDelete