a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, April 20, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE books


I CELEBRATE this book because my husband bought it as a treat for me, and it is good for my teacher soul.

I CELEBRATE this book because it opened the door for one of my students to share something deeply personal and brave with her fellow Voices Strong.

I CELEBRATE this book because it arrived on my porch from a Christmas gift card pre-order this week and will be perfect for backyard reading.

I CELEBRATE this book because it is the first book I ever read about teaching poetry—when I was in college.  It is the foundation of so much of the work I do with writers.

I CELEBRATE this book because it turned a non-reader into a reader.

I CELEBRATE this book because it feels like it was written purely for my own entertainment. 

4 comments:

  1. Celebrating books with you. I wish spring break would continue, so I could read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy! I still have Rose, where did you get that red! I have A.J. Fikry on my Kindle-ready... And thanks for the magenta title, will find it & share it out with those teaches of the older kids. Sounds like a lovely break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much book love, what's not to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to check out these titles. I'm not sure if you read- but I'm moving up to 7th grade, so I will be picking your brain.

    Thanks for all the great recommendations,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete