a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 1, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE Ruth Ayres


 
Today is March 1st.  For many of my kindred {blogging} spirits, today marks the start of another Slice of Life challenge. 

But not for me.

I am busy with other challenges.  I am taking an online mixed media art class with Kelly Rae Roberts.   I will be presenting once again at the Illinois Reading Council Conference in two weeks.  I have a big writing project to work on.  I have been reading my heart out. 

But to be true, this busy-ness is not the reason I am not participating in the Slice of Life challenge this year. 


It just isn’t the same without Ruth.


Today is March 1st.  Today I celebrate Ruth. 

Ruth allows me stand on her shoulders at the same time as she claims I inspire her.

Ruth makes me feel special by mentioning me in tweets.

 Ruth shares her talent by creating and gifting mixed media art.
This arrived in the mail today from Ruth Ayres. LIFT is my OLW for 2014. I am in love with Ruth's art.
Ruth helped me build genuine connections with teachers all over the United States {and even Estonia}. 

Ruth brings her heart {a heart that knows how to love BIG} to everything she does.  And everything is better with Ruth’s heart in it.  I am lucky enough to have experienced firsthand the truth of that statement—my life is better with Ruth’s heart in it.

Today is March 1st.   Today I celebrate Ruth.


7 comments:

  1. Lovely. I'm sorry your not slicing, but I understand. It won't be the same, it isn't the same. It was one of the things I thought about a lot before I began this year. At least I get to "celebrate" with the two of you on Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I celebrate Ruth and what she has done for me right along with you. The slice is not the same without her, but I know she has her vision of her writing life and where it will take her (and us). I will miss your daily posts, but I feel lucky that I was able to read your work for the last 31 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a pleasure to hear what you're doing, too Christy, and in the slicing we will always miss Ruth, too. Her voice is often in my head! Best wishes to you in your art class and at your conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for your slice at TWT, so now I know. I think we are celebrating Ruth as we write. I wouldn't be writing today if I hadn't known and worked with Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful celebration!

    You are very blessed.

    ReplyDelete