Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, February 16, 2014

31 THINGS day twenty-two

I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things. Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, Ali's example, and a photo challenge. In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included. I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here over 31 days.

created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards

 
-->
day twenty-two | spot

This one has had me stumped:  What is my favorite spot?

Generally, I am one of those people who will find the best in any spot. Although, I am also a creature of habit, so I often find myself returning to the same places. 

I have a favorite spot on the couch, a favorite spot at the kitchen table, a favorite spot to sit in the yard, a favorite spot for reading, a favorite spot for crafting, a favorite spot for running, a favorite vacation spot, a favorite spot just for sitting. How to choose a single spot to describe?

What makes a favorite spot? My favorite spots at home are places where I can be alone, but still feel connected. The family room is great for this because it is in the center of the house. A spot is especially good if there is room for my dogs to snuggle near me.  When they are settled, it is easier for me to feel settled.

My favorite spots in nature involve trees.  It is nice to be near water, but trees are more important. 

My favorite spots to visit are those places that make me feel like me, only amplified. There are places I have visited while on vacation, or in the city, that make my heart beat just a little bit faster. They are places that cause a visceral reaction. Even looking at pictures of those places can bring back the same emotions. It is the kind of reaction that can’t be explained. One either gets it or not. Generally, the people who really know me are the ones who get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment