Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, February 13, 2014

31 THINGS day twenty-one


I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, Ali's example, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here over 31 days.

 
created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards

day twenty-one | think

Be on their side. One of my professors in college gave this advice to a classroom filled with future teachers. He was referring specifically to students, but this phrase has been on my mind lately in a more universal sense.

Just four simple words: Be on their side. It seems so obvious.  I truly AM on the same side as students, administrators, colleagues, my family, my community, Mark.  So, why is it that sometimes my emotions tempt me to speak and/or act against people?

I find that lately people are quick to jump to the negative. I am not sure that social media is what causes this attitude, but it certainly gives people a convenient forum for venting.  I also experience a lot of automatically negative attitudes while working with middle school students.  I wonder sometimes if these attitudes are just typical adolescent angst or if they are a reflection of what the world is giving to this generation.  Just one look at Facebook and I can find people complaining about inadequate snow removal, inadequate schools, inadequate police action, the list goes on and on. 

I don’t want to contribute to the ugliness in the world.

I don’t want to be one of those people.

So, I have been making a conscious effort lately to be on their side, no matter who they are, no matter where I am. Whether it is on Facebook or face to face. 

Just four simple words: Be on their side.

2 comments:

  1. Your 31 days sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to reading more from your journey with this.

    I agree about being on their side. Lately I feel like I need to remind my co-workers and admin that we are on the same side. Sometimes I feel like it's easy to turn against each other instead of working with people for a common goal.

    I listen to Joel Osteen and one of my favorite messages from him is, "Be quiet or be positive." This has been so hard for me, but I know he's right. If I have nothing good to say, chances are I don't need to say anything. I find that me putting more negativity out there just hurts me and everyone else around me.

    Thanks for reminding me to check myself,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reality *slap* upside the head. I contribute to this, and I will make a greater effort to be positive or be quiet!

    ReplyDelete