Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

31 THINGS day nineteen

I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, Ali's example, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here over 31 days.


created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards

day nineteen | listen

I listen.

I listen to the white noise of the fan at night, the scrape of the plow down the street, the swish of cars driving through the slush, the creeks of the house settling in the cold.

I listen to Roosevelt and Aurora bark every time I make a move, bark to tell me they want to go out, bark to demand a treat, bark to remind me they are there.  I try to respond in a way that will meet their needs without reinforcing their behavior.

I listen to the conversation of teenagers walking through the hall, gathering around a desk, ducking behind a book.  I listen to questions, complaints, insights.  I love that my job allows me to study the minds of so many young people.  Humans are so cool.

I listen to happy music on my way to work in the morning. I have a short drive, so there is only time for a song or two.  Lately I have been enjoying some old Five For Fighting songs and Joe Pug.  I should probably make a new CD with some more recent music on it, though. 

I listen to my mother.  She is the wisest person I know. 

I listen to Mark talk to me about his day.  I listen to his weather reports.  I listen, hoping to catch a completely unexpected laugh.

I listen to my heart.  To the voice inside that drives me to try harder and the voice that reminds me I am enough.

I listen.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm glad you are creating and documenting it in this space here.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother and Mark are important, but listening to your heart is the most important of them all. Happy songs are close to the top too. I know, I know, they are all equal. :)

    ReplyDelete