Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, February 10, 2014

31 THINGS day eighteen

I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, Ali's example, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here over 31 days.

created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards
 
day eighteen | shoes

random thoughts about me + shoes

In high school, my best friend and I decided any guy who wore black high-tops was a total bore.  Although I am not proud of my judgmental high school ways, I have always thought shoes tell a lot about a person’s personality.  Perhaps that accounts for the variety of shoes you can find in my closet.

Mostly, when I look at my shoes, I am reminded of the process of shopping for them. I remember getting the green quilted flats with my mother-in-law.  I got the quirky Merrell casual shoes with my mom and my mother- and sister-in-law.  I got a couple pairs of the Clarks on a shopping trip to the outlet mall with my friend Michelle.  A couple of the flats were bargains from Old Navy. 

I visit a shoe repair shop every now and then to replace the heel nubs of my favorite shoes.  There are a few pairs that I plan to wear and repair until they have completely disintegrated. 

After getting married in the canyon, my husband and I also wore jeans to our wedding reception/party.  I had planned to wear a pair of brown heels.  I owned an identical pair in black.  Somehow, I ended up wearing one of each—one brown, one black.  My friend insisted on going to my house and getting the correct shoe for me.  Luckily, I lived close by. 

I wear such a freakishly small size (sometimes five and half, sometimes six) that it is tricky to find shoes I like that fit.  When I shop at DSW, I don’t even bother looking at the shoes on top of the shelves.  Instead, I scan the boxes for the fluorescent dots that mark the exceptionally sized shoes (small and large).  Only when I see my size do I lift my eyes and check out the shoes on the shelf.  Otherwise, I end up heartbroken again and again when I want shoes that don’t come in my size.

2 comments:

  1. I think our shoe racks would be good friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait...if YOUR feet are "freakishly small," then what are mine?

    Or maybe I don't want to know your answer.

    And I am afraid about what you would say about my shoes, which are merely built for comfort and not for style. ;-)

    ReplyDelete