Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

SHINE ON


It’s a sunshine (blogging award) day! 

Rule #1 | acknowledge the nominating blogger(s)

A couple weeks ago, Terje at Just for a Month nominated me for the Sunshine Award.  Her nomination was just one of several ways Terje nudged me to return to blogging.  Others included sharing pins on Pinterest, e-mailing, a Liebster nomination, and even this special New Year’s message: Head uut aastat!  Terje’s nomination means so much to me because I hadn’t been blogging for about a month and she still thought of me.  How wonderful it is to have a Sunshine Fairy visit me all the way from Estonia!

Today, I got a message from Ruth at Ruth Ayres Writes letting me know she, too, nominated me for the Sunshine Award.  Her nomination comes with a not-so-subtle nudge to write, write, and write some more.  If you know Ruth, you understand what a compliment it is for her to miss your words.


Rule #2 | share 11 random facts about yourself

Rule #3 | answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger(s) have created for you

Questions from Terje:

1.             One thing you wish adults would have told you about growing up?     | it takes time

2.             If you could travel in time, would you go to the past or the future? Why?     | the past, I will understand the future when the time comes

3.             How would you describe yourself as a child?     | imaginative; I would spend hours playing pretend: rocks were dinosaur bones, my bicycle was a school bus, the carpeting was a matchbox car community, Barbies were characters from my favorite television shows

4.             What is your happiest childhood memory?     | some of my happiest times were spent sitting around the kitchen table talking to my mom and sister while my dad pretended to watch tv, but would really listen in and interject from his recliner every now and then

5.             How have you surprised yourself?     | I am married

6.             What are you avoiding?     | updating my school webpage, entering grades (tedious schoolwork)

7.             What are the advantages of getting older?     | gaining perspective, ability to sweat less of the small stuff

8.             What is one habit you would like to learn this year?     | setting (and achieving) realistic daily goals

9.             What inspirational things did you read, see or hear last week?     | with my students, I watched the clip from Dead Poets’ Society where Robin Williams talks about why we read and write poetry (which I noticed is also the audio for an ipad air commercial)

10.          How much is your life like to what you dreamed it would be?     | this is going to sound terrible, but I could never picture my life past college, so I was convinced I would be hit by a bus as soon as I graduated—luckily, I was wrong.


Questions from Ruth:

1.       What is your favorite office supply?     | Pens. 

2.       If I were to make something in my kitchen for you, what would you want it to be?     | A painting…you sometimes do that in the kitchen, right?

3.       What makes you feel loved?     | A warm blanket fresh out of the dryer

4.       If you were a piece of chewing gum, where would you want to be stuck? (Special thanks to Brit Montgomery, third grade teacher, for this little gem of a question.)     | I would like to be retroactively stuck underneath a table in The Center for Teaching and Learning in Edgecomb, Maine

5.       What is your least favorite chore around the house?     | Laundry

6.       What's your favorite kind of exercise?     | Walking long distances outdoors, preferably through the woods

7.       What do you collect (or wish you collected)?     | antiques, buttons, loose change, books

8.       What's one of your favorite posts YOU'VE written? Please share the link.     | This one.  It has been on my mind lately because I think I recently figured out the purpose for this moment in my life.

9.       What's your favorite quote?     | other than the quote on my blog header, I am partial to: “If I am not happy in this time, in this place, I am not paying attention.” –Jodi Hills

10.   What are three words to describe you as a teenager?      | independent, focused, happy


11.    What are three words to describe your life right now?     | work in progress


Rule #4 | list 11 bloggers you would like to nominate (and let them know you’ve nominated them) NOTE: you may not nominate the blogger who nominated you (also known on the playground as the “no tag-backs” rule)

I am a bit of a rebel, so I am cool with breaking with Rule #4.  I broke the no tag-backs rule.  Twice.  And I know Elsie was already nominated, so she is also exempt.  The rest of these bloggers are under no obligation to respond, but I posted those questions just in case…

Boggers who I felt shine on me when I took a break from blogging:

Bloggers I know in real life who shine on my daily life:
Dena (high school bestie)
Jessica (colleague/friend)
Mark (husband)

Future bloggers who shine on my daily life (all colleague/friends):
David
Kate
Kathie
Michelle


Rule #5 | post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer

1.     What is your spirit animal?
2.     If someone who loves you described you in three words, what would they say?
3.     What is one of the best gifts you have ever received?
4.     What is your comfort food?
5.     If you could meet any character from a book in real life, which character would you choose?
6.     What is one of your favorite places?
7.     If you were a piece of furniture, which piece of furniture would you be?
8.     What is the last book you read?
9.     What is the song you are most likely to be caught singing along with?
10. What is one of your daily rituals?
11. Do you have a favorite article of clothing?  If so, what is it?

5 comments:

  1. So glad Ruth nudges (ever so gently) and you responded with a post filled with snippets of you. Thanks for the nomination :-). Spandex is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking time to write the facts and answer questions. Thanks for the tag back, even if it was against the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am a "future blogger" and a current "make Christy pretty things out of yarn knitter," I will answer the questions and give them to you later. I envy your relationship with your mom, and I'm happy you have that in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind invitation to blog out, and I'm honored to be included in such great company! Your words and thoughts and bottomless determination are food for my teacher soul, but your kindness, wit, and creativity fuel the bond of our shared love of word and friendship. I have missed your words here. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are back Christie! I love love your creative thoughts and your open honesty. Nanci Atwell also was the first professional blogger to change my heart...there have been many more since. xo Nanc

    ReplyDelete