Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, January 18, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE my mom


celebrate with Ruth and friends every Saturday
Today I celebrate the most important person in my life: my mom.  Today is her 60th birthday.   Happy Birthday, Mom!

George Carlin says that 60 years old is 16 degrees Celsius.  So in celebration of my mom’s 60 years, here is a list of 16 items that make me think of her:
1.     dogs (especially the spotted ones and the red ones)
2.     books by Erma Bombeck and Janet Evanovich, also Gone With the Wind
3.     Coca-Cola
4.     accordions
5.     corn on the cob
6.     hand-sewn clothing
7.     peppermint candy
8.     The Statler Brothers and Traveling Wilburys
9.     all things Apple®
10. Ron Paul
11. rhyming poetry
12. planes landing safely
13. low-top white Reebok tennis shoes
14. blue eyeshadow
15. Jean Naté
16. Sheldon Cooper, Tim Gunn, and Marilyn Milian
mom and baby me
me with mom
mom and me
mom as "pastor" at my canyon wedding (with my niece as a flower girl)

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your mom. She must be a special lady, because she raised a special daughter. I love that you didn't elaborate on the items of the list. Now I can draw my own conclusions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the pics-they look just like you, Christy. I echo Elsie-special mom, special daughter. Happy Birthday to your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post! Happy celebrations with your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my.. Jean Naté...I loved that! That brings back memories. I have read many comments about you being back and I look forward to reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to be reading your posts again, Christy! And happy birthday to your mom, who sounds like a very special lady, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your mom! Lots of special people born on that day- it's my son's birthday too! I love your wedding picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some precious pictures! Happy birthday to your mom!
    Hey, I got some Jean Naté for this past birthday! Guess whether I'm closer to your mom's age or yours...
    Love the list. I wonder what my daughter would write on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your mom! I love the association list. It's so personal. These simple key words can hold a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your list is as much time capsule as memory; that makes it ever so much more special to me as a reader. What a wonderful way to honor Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful celebration! What a special list! Love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete