Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, January 11, 2014

in which I CELEBRATE finding

It's Saturday, time to CELEBRATE with Ruth and friends!



At the end of 2013 I took a break from the blog world that has nourished and sustained my teaching soul for years now.  I needed to take time to nourish and sustain myself for a while. 

And I learned some things.  In addition to celebrating my return, today I am celebrating this—the finding.

one | I found the connections I’ve made online are much deeper than a few comments on a blog.  Across the distance in miles and cyber space, my friends reached out with comments, e-mails, shared pins, texts, and tweets. 

two | I found that if I pay closer attention, I will see there are also people right in front of me who help nourish and sustain my teaching soul.  I just have to let them in.

three | I found a way to make ineffective curriculum documents lead to effective instructional planning.  This is an enormous breakthrough and makes my teaching heart sing.

four | I found a new look for my blog to match my new connection to myself. 

and more recently…

five | I found my One Little Word: lift. 

definitions:

1.  raise to a higher position or level  {move (one’s eyes or face) to face upward and look at someone or something, increase the volume or pitch of one’s voice, transport by air, move upward}

2.  the force that directly opposes the weight of an airplane and holds the airplane in the air

synonyms include: hoist, raise, elevate, hold high, increase, encourage, cheer

It fits my mindset for 2014.  I want to be intentional about lifting this year.  I want to do the heavy lifting necessary to accomplish my goals.  I want to lift my eyes to look at all that is good in the world.  I want to lift the spirits of myself and of those around me by encouraging instead of complaining.  I want to be the lift that elevates others—the force that keeps them aloft.

six | I found out how to turn my own handwriting into a digital stamp.  I used it for my One Little Word:


seven | I found there is an idea for a writing project inside of me.  A big project.  Just thinking about it thrills me. 

   

10 comments:

  1. I love your graphic of your OLW! I want to learn how to make a digital stamp of my handwriting as well. All the best to you as you tackle your new writing project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving reading everyone's posts about their OLW. Everyone's are so different and so, so perfect. And like Jaana, I want to know how to do the digital stamp too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love your picture of your OLW. Very cool. How did you do that?

    I liked your 3rd celebration. I think I need to try to look at some mandated curriculum differently. I'm hoping I can have a revelation too.

    Thanks for sharing. Your blog page is beautiful. I'm new to blogging, so it's nice to see what mine can hopefully one day become.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! You're back! You made me very curious with #7. I look forward to seeing how your word "lift" guides you this year. Thank you for the pin you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know, my eyes lit up when I saw there was a comment from you, but even more when I had a post waiting for me. Love, love, love the new look! It is so good to read your thoughts again. I can't wait to learn more of your project. You inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to hear from you Christy, to discover some of what's going on in your life. The new look of your blog is wonderful, and the pin is such a good personal touch for your one little word. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm am so happy you are back. I've missed your voice and our conversations. Love your celebrations and your OLW---and about number 7.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! And I love each thing you are celebrating. What a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you nourished your own soul. Lovely look around here...it feels so comfortable to visit. I'm glad you are back. I miss you here.
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are back here...even though I am blessed enough to have you next door (y'all are jealous, I know, I get this awesomeness every day!). Number 3 rocks. Totally.

    As an aside: we remember odd things. I was eight years old, and I was fascinated by airplanes (growing up 3 air miles from Chicago O'Hare may have done that). I learned the formula for flight is Lift + thrust = drag + weight. When all are equal, the plane operates in level flight. You are our lift. Guess that makes K the thrust, and me...drag and weight. You want to fly level...you need 'em all!

    ReplyDelete