Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, January 25, 2014

31 THINGS day two

I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here for the next 31 days.


created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards


day two | morning routine

5am | Crickets chirp from my iPhone to wake me up.  I inevitably tap the screen and edit the alarm to go off again at 5:25am.  Late nights are more my style than early mornings.

6:25am | After getting ready, I gently nudge Mark awake by softly calling, “All done, your turn,” to indicate I am out of the bathroom we share.  I find my clothes in the dark, freshly ironed the night before and hung on the closet door.  Once Mark is up and moving, I turn on a light to select shoes and jewelry for the day.

6:45am | Roosevelt follows me downstairs.  Aurora likes to linger at the top of the stairway, peering through the railing before deciding to join us for “breakfast time.”  I refill their bowls, break-up a Beggin’ Strip® to sprinkle over the top of their fresh kibble, and refresh their water bowl.   

6:50am | I pack my lunch and gather my things for school.  I shuffle between packing my backpack, letting the dogs out, and getting ready to make my breakfast smoothie.  I press the button to start Mark’s coffee, ready just in time for his arrival downstairs.  I select just the right travel mug for the day and prepare a Jamba Juice smoothie to fill it with. 

7:10am | Mark finishes packing up his lunch and morning coffee.  He rarely talks during this time, but I usually take advantage of these brief moments of his undivided attention to share my thoughts about the day or a leftover story from the day before.  Then we grab our coats and head out the door, each taking our own cars to head to the same place. 

7:28am | I reach the building first and wait inside to open the door for Mark.  We walk down the hallway, me pulling a wheeled bin, Mark with squeaky shoes.  He heads to his room, I head to the elevator.  And our days begin.

1 comment:

  1. Your routine is much the same but when I had to be at school at 7:30, I needed to leave by 7. Now am 5 minutes away, so leave at 8:30, to miss the parent traffic! I liked the pragmatic way you shared, minute by minute, piece by piece, but the kicker, sounds so tongue-in-cheek Christy, is the 'squeaky shoe'! Love it!

    ReplyDelete