Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, January 24, 2014

31 THINGS day one

I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here for the next 31 days.
created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards 
day one | jewelry

wedding ring | my simple silver band is a physical manifestation of my unconventional tendencies.  As a teenager, I wore a silver band stamped DESTINY on my wedding ring finger—my way of taking a stand against the conventional belief that a ring on that particular finger has to mean you are married.  When I finally decided to give in to the convention of marriage, I knew I didn’t want diamonds—now I get a new ‘wedding’ ring each year as an anniversary present, which is a contrast to my sentimental tendencies. 

necklaces | I wear a necklace nearly every day.  Necklaces tell stories and can represent, maybe even influence my mood for the day.  Each day I select, from my ever-growing collection, just the right necklace to finish my outfit, to suit my mood.  Each day, I am reminded of the story behind my necklace of choice.  Maybe it is the story of my husband shopping for me in the town where we were married.  Or maybe it is the story of my mother gifting me a necklace along with a card that reads, “Wishing you morning music, featherlight wings, and a blue sky full of sunshine.”  Maybe it is the story held within beads crafted from the ruins of an old church in Mexico.   Today I wear the first piece of jewelry my mother-in-law ever gifted me—and it is my favorite piece from her.  I love the way wearing it makes me feel her presence in my life. 





3 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I need to make time for something like this in my life. I love that you get a new wedding ring each year--it would be kind of like renewing your vows every year. Like saying, "Yep, I still love you and want you in my life".

    And, really glad you are writing again and sharing books on your other blog. I missed your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are doing this class because I get to read your writing. Your photo of necklaces lots like my closet of necklaces. A new ring each year is awesome. I hope I get to see this year's ring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fun class, Christy. I enjoyed hearing about your tradition of rings. Do you have a special place to keep the old ones? I have more than one necklace, but mostly wear two-silver chains with words hanging from them, both gifts from my daughter. It is neat that you have a story that goes with each-me too-makes them very special!

    ReplyDelete