Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, January 27, 2014

31 THINGS day four

I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here for the next 31 days.
 
created with Photshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards


-->
day four | spirit

and He walks with me, and He talks with me
and He tells me I am His own;
and the joy we share as we tarry there,
none other has ever known.
lyrics from in the garden  (the version I know and love is by the Statler Bros.)

Although I do not consider myself a religious person, I do consider myself to be a spiritual person.  I am shamefully ignorant of religion, of religious doctrine, of the tenets of religions.  However, my ignorance has not hindered my appreciation (perhaps even nurtured it) of spiritual beliefs. 

The result is that I have a hodgepodge of beliefs that don’t fit neatly into any particular sect. 

one | If I am going to pray, it is likely going to be to Mother Mary, St. Francis of Assisi, or St. Joseph.  These three really seem to be the ones in charge.

two | We are closer to God while singing than we are while engaged in any other activity. 

three | When the sun shines visible rays to earth, that means souls are traveling between earth and the heavens.  Souls travel both ways, but we can only interact with souls when we are most open to this interaction: in our sleep.

four | My Mother-In-Law taught me to believe in the power of a Novena.  Working in a kindergarten classroom at a Catholic elementary school taught me to believe in the power of children’s prayers.  I am convinced God weights them differently. 

five | Everything happens for a reason.

1 comment: