Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

31 THINGS day five


 
I am participating in a class with Ali Edwards through Big Picture Classes called 31 Things.  Every day includes a word, writing prompts, dig deeper prompts, a writing tip, and a photo challenge.  In addition to the prompts, templates for a physical album and/or digital album are included.  I am creating a digital album and plan to share the results here for the next 31 days.

created with Photoshop Elements 9 and tools from 31 Things with Ali Edwards


day five | conversation

Not a day goes by that I don’t talk to Mark and my mom:

mark | Most of my conversations with Mark happen while we are preparing dinner, right before we fall asleep (that is when we laugh the most), or when we call back and forth from the couch downstairs to the office upstairs.  Although, we have to be careful when we talk about school.  Working in the same place means we can get into some pretty intense discussions.  Our venting and problem solving can sound like we are angry with each other, and it makes the dogs nervous. 

mom | I talk to Mom by landline, iPhone, or texting.  Often, I call her while I am on the treadmill.  Although that is a multi-tasking move, I am probably most present when I am on the treadmill.  The walking becomes automatic and I focus entirely on the conversation.  I am even able to sustain attention when Mom talks about insurance if I am on the treadmill.  I also tend to call Mom while I am driving.  One of her favorite things to do is tease me about how much food I am ordering at the Patio drive-through.  And we can spend hours laughing about a single word: spandex.


Most days, I talk to more than just those two:

students and colleagues | On school days, I spend lots of time talking to students (some of my favorite moments are spent this way) and to colleagues.  

friends | On a really good day, I will also find time to converse with a friend.  I am lucky enough to have some amazing women in my life.  Conversations with Dena, Beth, Michelle, and Ruth make me feel connected to who I am and remind me who I want to be.

blog buddies | I make a point to spend time staying connected to my friends in the blogosphere.  Maintaining these relationships is something I do selfishly, to take care of me, because these connections keep me grounded and nudge me to grow.

2 comments:

  1. Quite a project you are taking on for 31 days. Love the additional peek into your life. I hope you enjoy the process as much as the final product. I think you will learn a thing or two about yourself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how Ali chooses the prompts.When I read your responses, I wonder what I would write, but I never get to writing. I have written once about my phone conversations with my sis.
    In some ways I can see this project as a warm up for March.

    ReplyDelete