Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

THEY


My week started with a headless bunny day (a phrase I coined based on an unfortunate Monday morning backyard surprise—compliments of an owl or hawk according to my people at Google)

I thought it was going to be a headless bunny week. 

After all, I have been in a dark, negative, headless bunny kind of mood.  Some might even call it a funk.

But then something happened. 

All of the ‘theys’ that have been the source of my angst became, well, human.  Right before my very eyes.  

They are by no means perfect.  In fact, sometimes I am not sure I even like them. Especially when they are creating and using assessment tools that don’t measure what I value.  Especially when they are swarming my classroom with clipboards and judgment.  Especially when they become little voices in my head critiquing my every move when I am trying, working, struggling to get it right. 

Maybe I should talk to them, I thought.  I sure would like to give them a piece of my mind, I thought.  They have no idea what damage they are doing, I thought.

So I asked, requested, demanded to meet with them.  And they showed up. 

I planned to be diplomatic.  I planned to wear a mask.  I planned to keep my distance.

But it turns out they are human.  I like humans.  I am human, too.

So, I shared my story with them.  I listened to them tell theirs.  

I felt lighter.  The little voices got quieter.   

Today was not another headless bunny day.

9 comments:

  1. Well done! Good for you in being brave and speaking up. I hope that your meeting went well, and that things will improve for you!

    I love the idea of "headless bunny" days. Well... maybe not the idea of HAVING them, but I love the phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for speaking up! "They" sometimes have to have those conversations with the "real people" doing the "real work" so they know what they are seeing!

    Never doubt you do good work, Christy.

    Miss you.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that one good answer is to work hard "together", Christy, which I believe you just described. I'm happy that it helped. Your classroom always sounds like such a joyful place that THEY surely must notice, and come to an understanding of your frustrations. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a powerful way of writing. I am in awe every time I read your words. I love that you reached out and discovered they were human too. It is a good first step in open communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. And GOOD FOR YOU. I'm sometimes a "me" and sometimes a "they" and sometimes an "us". But I'm always human. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great reminder to not let fear stop you from communicating with people- even if you perceive them to be at odds with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your feelings and the change of mood came through loud and clear. You shared your story and listened to them. I hope that they listened and understood you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shorthand of "HBD" is so simple...like "The Ghost walks." We just need to remember: we are NOT the headless bunnies (even if we feel that way sometimes). And for that, we can be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This all strikes me as so true - there are plenty of "theys" in my world and I have had many headless bunny days lately (and now I know what to call them). I love that YOU talked with THEM. Your ideas matter and I am glad they listened. Thanks you for sharing - and inspiring me to do the same. (I also like your reference to "my people at Google.")

    ReplyDelete