Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, March 29, 2013

STUFF


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS

Sometimes stuff makes me happy. 

I know there are more important things in life.  I know I don’t need this stuff in order to be happy.

But sometimes the stuff is icing on the cake (or frosting on the spoon) that just makes life feel good. 

Yesterday my dog had her last dose of medicine to fight her heartworms.  Since she survived the medicine (no allergic reaction), she is pretty much considered cured.  This is an incredible relief.

Yesterday I also found out that the teacher next door to me (new this year to replace my friend who took a curriculum coordinator position), to whom I’ve grown close, is not going to be RIF’ed or involuntarily transferred to another position.  This is amazing news that frees me to start working with her on plans for next school year. 

These are the things that truly matter. 

But sometimes, it just doesn’t hurt to get a new couch.  Especially if it happens to be the one I posted on Pinterest long ago and didn’t even remember I had pinned until after it had been ordered. 

from my "For the Home" board on Pinterest
And sometimes it doesn’t hurt to get a new rug.  Especially if it perfectly matches the curtains I sewed this winter.
new settee and area rug
And sometimes it really doesn’t hurt to get a king-size bed to replace the queen-size bed my husband has been teetering off the edge of for years.  Especially if the bed helps tie to together the beach cottage decorating scheme we have going. 
close-up of print hanging over bed--the design inspiration for the room
new {unmade} bed
Yeah, sometimes stuff makes me happy.  Especially when it is like licking icing off a spoon after eating a healthy, satisfying meal. 

14 comments:

  1. I love how you chose to write about stuff by first putting it in perspective of other aspects that you are grateful for - that made your final line even more powerful. I am glad that you are enjoying all of the new additions to your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We know that stuff is stuff but it is nice to be surrounded by things that bring beauty to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all enjoy "stuff" from time to time, but the way you spoke of the other things that you valued really showed both perspectives nicely. Time to kick back on that new (awesome) settee, dig your toes into your new rug and think about all the other things you can only appreciate in your mind/heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, as the other have said, I love how you framed this bit of truth. I also love the way you crafted the writing of it.
    But really, what I want to do right now is tell you I love, love, love your new sofa and rug and bed. Sometimes stuff making us happy is more than ok, and I can tell you are happy. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! What a fun way to begin spring break! Maybe yours is next week...?

    I, too, love the way you included very important "stuff" to you as you told about the material goods!

    Finally, I know you are such a generous person with others; I am happy for you--that you indulged yourself this time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stuff is good for the soul to sit back on or curl up with an awesome book. I loved the peek into your space, especially an unmade bed. (I think they are more comfortable that way)
    Great news on your dog and your fellow teacher. I worried for you when the news report talked of closing so many schools in Chicago. Glad yours is not one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes "stuff" and trashy novels and lazy days are what get us through life. Enjoy! Because what's really important you already know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog header.
    We need a balance in life and that includes having STUFF! Enjoy all of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new stuff looks right at home in your home....and how wonderful that this colleague is coming back next year, happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you still wrote about the really important things first, and then treated the "stuff" like "icing on the cake", as you said. That's what it truly is, and it is sure nice to have that icing sometimes! By the way, you SEWED your own curtains? I'm impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, it's nice to have "stuff", even if you don't need it. The settee is beautiful, and the rug! When I moved I left my old dining table behind & found a new one. It's ordered & on its way. I hope I like it at home as much as much as I did in the store! And, I want to tell you that at first, I saw the picture & thought it was your home-beautful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why is it that "stuff" can give us a sense of comfort and identity and at the same time, create such stress and chaos? I think of my yarn: silk, alpaca, wool laceweight, bulky, all t hat fibrous warnmth and comfort that I can dive into. But the stress comes when I look at it and realize it's bordering on hoarding and I really should knit some of it up into the projects I envisioned: sweaters and blankets and hats and booties. All in good time, I suppose. For me, your slice points out the role of environment for our mental health; may your home be a place of peace and joy always...especially now that Aurora is "cured." She'll stay on my prayer list for a while though; you must be in tears of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A proper bed is more than just "stuff." Good sleep matters. I have pinned things to pinterest but it's still in the "dream" stage. You took action.
    I was glad to read about your dog, and your colleague. A post filled with smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a whole board of stuff for my future house on Pinterest! :)

    https://pinterest.com/raisealithuman/my-future-house/

    ReplyDelete