Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 9, 2013

PINTEREST POST-ITS


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS

Tuesday is a big day for me.  Neal Shusterman is coming to our school. 

Neal Shusterman was the first author to ever visit our school.  No author visit since has topped his.  And we have had some pretty amazing authors.

In the midst of my excitement, there are also lots of tasks on my “To Do” list to get ready for what is sure to be an incredible day.

My favorite of those tasks are the ones that allow me to get crafty.  Recently I came across a template on Pinterest for printing on post-it notes.  When an author comes to visit, I need to use post-it notes to make the book signing go more smoothly.  I also need post-it notes to organize the books to be signed that were pre-ordered.

So, I put the two ideas together. 

First, I printed orange post-it notes with a label that says “Your Biggest” and has a picture of a FAN on it.  While I didn’t use the template I discovered on Pinterest, I did copy the idea to create my own template.  These are to write each student’s name to make personalization easy (and to make it possible to return the books to the students who brought or purchased them).    I printed the message sideways on the post-it note, so that the sticky part of the note is completely inside the book while a bit of the note peeks out to conveniently mark the page for signing. 


Then, I printed “Return To” labels with the names of every language arts teacher in our building.  These labels will stick to the book covers to help me sort the books in order to distribute them to the appropriate students.  This saves me the time it would take to write out the LA teacher’s name on each post-it.

Something about being this organized pleases me.  Something about being this organized AND being so cute about it deeply satisfies me.

8 comments:

  1. Yay for awesome author visits and organization! I love what you did with the post-its. Hope your author visit is super fabulous! Thanks for sharing your Slice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that everyone, & especially Neil Schusterman will be impressed with your 'cute' style, Christy. Love the idea & that you used it for such a wonderful activity. thanks for sharing too-I hope I can make it work with my printer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is creative thinking and higher level organization. The post-its are practical and cute. Awesome combinations. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to organize the book signing! I love being able to customize the sticky notes for whatever purpose (did it to label text features). Can't wait for your slice from the visit. Authors make the world of reading and writing come alive for students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So now you are not only inspiring my teaching, but giving me great "crafty" tips too. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh...who knew? This is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time! As a sticky note addict (I should add it to my list), this is something I may have to try.
    Have fun Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you merged the two ideas! I say "Brilliant!" It matches my type A organizational crazy personality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY neat...and so "Christy." :) Enjoy the visit.

    ReplyDelete