Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, March 4, 2013

ODE TO TELEVISION


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS


O, Television,
Gary Paulsen says you should be shot.
Laurie Halse Anderson says if I want to become a writer,
I must first turn you
off.

But how could I survive?
Your glowing screen
draws me into its captivating embrace.
I long to be held,
unaware of time’s marching pace.

Your HD disarms me.
Your sitcoms render me joyful.
Your reality shows ground me.
Your dramas leave me breathless.

I can sense you are on
even if I can’t hear you.
Some might say
it is the high-frequency sound you emit
signaling your presence,
but I know our connection
runs much deeper than sound waves.

O, Television,
how can I thank you
for bringing me the stories
of Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper,
Dr. Sam Beckett,
Alex P. Keaton,
Rudy Huxtable,
Cindy Brady,
Bailey Salinger,
Agent Cooper,
Judge Marilyn Milian,
Tim Gunn,
Martin Bohm,
Vivien Harmon,
Brick Heck,
Ted Mosby,
Lindsay Weir,
and Sheldon Cooper.

Television, you are
my background noise,
my dinner companion.
my reason for unproductivity.

Gary Paulsen says you should be shot.
Laurie Halse Anderson says if I want to become a writer,
I must first turn you
off.

But Television,
I am addicted to turning you
on.

7 comments:

  1. Christy,

    Oh how I enjoyed your 'ode and connected to it in many places. Alex P. Keaton, Rudy Huxtable...aww, I loved them both! My husband adores Judge Marilyn and Judy. Our TV is tuned in to these programs every afternoon when I get home. And lastly, Sheldon Cooper in my opinion is one of the greatest characters of all time, hilarious!

    Very clever. I always enjoy your posts. ~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you listed all those names, Christy. What fun. I like TV too, & do watch, but I find lately I'm so busy that the TV on & on & I don't know that I've seen what I was supposed to see. My life is lately complicated... Watch if you wish, don't let the others keep telling you what you are supposed to do. But I did love your ode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love TV, almost as I love books. Maybe what I'm addicted to is other people's stories. Your list of characters just made me smile. Bazinga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the angst in your ode. We shouldn't love/want/need TV but it is such quick and mindless entertainment. I must confess, I cannot sleep if the TV is not on. I guess I like background noise. Love your ode!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came as a surprise. I may not know any of the characters you listed, but I still understand the poem. I know that it is possible to live without TV, but it won't be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew so many of those characters and many made me smile...but not as big of a smile as your final line!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! What a great subject for an ode. I found it fascinating because I don't own a TV.
    However, we all have our entertainments and addictions!

    Great read. Thanks very much.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete