Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

MUSCLE


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS

My body is itching for the weather to warm up enough for me to run outdoors on a regular basis (I can’t run in cold weather because it is a trigger for my asthma).  My muscles ache with the desire to be set free on the path near our house. 

I can count on my body to nudge me to get moving.  My muscles need to be stretched, warmed up, worked, pushed, exhausted.

Even my writing muscle.

My eyelids are heavy this evening. I couldn’t help but crawl into bed at a decent hour.  But after about 20 minutes of reading, here I am.  Out of bed.  In front of the screen.  Why?  Because my writing muscle ached with the desire to be set free on the keys of my laptop. 

Apparently, I can count on my body to nudge even the writerly side of me to get moving.  My writing muscle needs to be stretched, warmed up, worked, pushed, exhausted. 

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get your warm weather. Thanks for sharing tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that even when I am exhausted...I want to write it out. Not sure whether to be grateful or annoyed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your body did nudge you to stretch that writing muscle. I hope you can soon get out and run. Funny how that doesn't affect your asthma. I would think the pollens in the air would be a hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it'll be fine for you soon, Christy. It's in the sixties here today and tomorrow, then a little cooler. It'll be up & down for weeks! I like the analogy of muscles, works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And on day 27, it is nearly exhausted! (At least mine is.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your analogy. I must say your have defined writing muscles because your writing is brilliant. I love reading your crafted words each time. :)

    ReplyDelete