Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 16, 2013

I’D RATHER BE READING


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS


My husband and I finally returned home from the IRC conference.  In a car filled with books. 

While we were there, it didn’t feel like I was buying THAT many books.  I didn’t spend that much time in the exhibit hall, where all the vendors were.  Really.  I would buy some books during lunch, make a trip to the car and tuck them away in the back.  It wasn’t until we got home and unpacked them that I realized I had purchased…58 books. 

I suppose it should have been a clue when I got to the slide in my presentation that contained a photo of my classroom library and there was an audible gasp from the attendees. 
my classroom library

I suppose it should have been a clue when I realized I still haven’t finished reading all the books I purchased at last year’s IRC conference.  This year, I will finish them all, I promise myself. 

And so, I leave you with the humbling sight of my purchases (I think 57 books are pictured because the 58th is already waiting for me on my nightstand—my personalized copy of Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy) so that I can tuck myself into a story for the night.

Abe Lincoln (high school student choice award in IL) books I don't already have

books by authors I heard speak at IRC this year

Caudill (student choice award grades 4-8 in IL) books I don't already have or of which I needed a new/additional copy

books purchased by recommendation of Becky Anderson (co-owner of Anderson's Bookshop)

books I knew I wanted or needed to re-purchase

17 comments:

  1. O. M. G. Thank you thank you thank you for this post. Your classroom library is incredible! And, I will be using it the next time my husband wonders why I need to stock more books in my classroom than the library for our school has, because I'm bookmarking this page to show him that there are others out there who have the bug too and have more books than me. Many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! Oh man....this makes me want to run out and buy books! or order books!
    You realized that your putting those pictures in this post I would read is like waving a big pile of crack in front of an addict, right? I've been so good for so long....maybe just one? Just one can't hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I have serious bookshelf envy. My husband has build me some wonderful low shelves for my classroom, but I'm already out of room. You've got some great choices. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and CINDER and anything by Laurie Halse Anderson have been very popular with my 8th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your library. I had a huge library when I taught 6th grade, but haven't taken many of my books to this school. I'm not sure why. I'm a little protective of my books. I'm glad you found many to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else I say WOW! What gifts for you and your students. They are very ,very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yowza! You got some reading to do! Can't wait to hear about your favorites! (Teaching elementary, I won't be reading all of these titles. But I do love a good YA read every now and again. Just finished Zarr's "How to Save a Life." Moving story!)

    What did your husband buy? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He bought books too. Not as many, but some. His (my) classroom library is the second largest in the school. I teach American History.

      Delete
  7. I wondered about your husband too. :-) I love that there is someone out there who must buy books too. Your kids will be wildly crazy when you bring these in. You know you can never change schools because moving this room would be an enormous job. I will finish with WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling she will be asking me to build her new shelves...all new shelves this summer!

      Delete
  8. I loved the "audible gasp." That library is fantastic and makes me want to be your student so I can just sit in your classroom and stare. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wintergirls is terrific, Christy! So great to see that someone else buys books, although it probably isn't a good idea for any of us to read each others's posts. It's costly! All of the classrooms at school have extensive libraries & we have a wonderful library too. Next week is our Scholastic book fair (we have another one in the fall). I am very excited. I think your students must love your room-awesome pic! It surely would be fun to go to Anderson's with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....your kids are blessed, Christy! So many awesome books....but, I bet it was so much fun. Some day I want to make it to a conference, it all sounds like so much fun. NCTE in the Fall cannot come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.wow. Wow. I hope that you and your students will have wonderful time reading and discussing books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same addiction, but now I can tell my husband there are others who are worse than me. Loved looking through your stacks and seeing the photo of your classroom library!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved seeing the books you bought. I now have a new book list! WooHoo. And Linda is right. WIntergirls is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the way you categorized your books for the photos. I think it is a good plan to tuck them in the car after each purchase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just so everyone knows...this is JUST her back wall. There are tons more books on the other three walls, in the window sills, on desks, stacks everywhere!

    ReplyDelete