Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 30, 2013

FOUND


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS

At a department meeting, when sharing what we’ve been reading, a colleague shared that she had gotten a box of books from an estate sale that her mom had purchased for a single title then passed the rest on to her.  Each of the books, she said, had an airplane ticket tucked inside—a record of where each book had been read. 

I like this idea.  It is the literal manifestation of books taking us places.

Maybe I will use this in a story one day. 

I do not tuck airplane tickets inside my books.  But some of them do hold notes.

notes about characters and plot from college

one of my mom's old book reports in a favorite childhood book she passed down to me

proof that my father was never a great speller (nor really into READING his books so much as doodling) in an old schoolbook of his

notes on characters and symbolism from a college course on Southern American literature on one of my favorite books

post-it notes marking some favorite poetry by Robert Frost and e.e. cummings in an old college textbook
I wonder who will find them at an estate sale one day.  Maybe they will use them in a story one day.

4 comments:

  1. I love finding hidden treasures in books...makes me feel connected to the previous owner somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting a book and finding notes in them. I never throw those notes away (after all I may need them too). It seems as though you are carrying on the family tradition of notes/jottings into books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a book I have titled Forgotten Bookmarks by a Michael Popek, Christy, that chronicles discoveries in books, just as you did. What treasures to find! I love hearing about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Notes in books is always fun. I love finding them. I like this idea and think I will try it a little.

    ReplyDelete