Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, March 25, 2013

EAST


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS

Today I am off my game.

Today I am too busy waiting for a too far away spring break myself to corral a classroom of teenagers into focus.

Today I am ready to move on to next year when I will really get this teaching thing right.

Today I am struggling to find moments to be proud of amidst the ugly mess of teaching middle school language arts.

Today I am slicing beyond the deadline.  Again.

Today I am feeling like I don’t belong.

Today I am visited by three administrators who know little about me or my teaching, but know lots about making people feel judged. 

Today is over, for those who live by eastern time.

Today I wish I lived further east.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry - your day sounded rough. I'm posting late too. Let's go to bed and hope for a better day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have days like this. And tomorrow is bound to be better. That's the beauty of teaching middle schoolers, they rebound quickly. It's great to hear your honest voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping that Spring Break will get here faster...hoping that next year gets here quicker (I'm having this desire too!)...hoping your administrators will help you feel more appreciated. You are awesome! Don't let anyone tell you different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have days like this...I think I had one of those days, only last week. You are fantastic and I love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your voice is tired, your spirit has been worn down. It's difficult to know how to support you, but know that you are enough. You do great work for your kids. I hope it is a better day and spring break happens soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh-Sorry for your day! I know that your kids are doing great stuff, & they're probably waiting for a break too, & have much less will power to keep on doing what they should than you. Give them all a Snickers & explain what 'snickering' is, & how powerful laughter is to health. (I'm serious-I've done it!) Then you can move on to another 'good' day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is impossible to avoid days like this, unless you have no heart or your skin is a meter thick. It is always possible to look at this in two ways. A friend of mine says, "Tomorrow will be a new day." My boss says, "It will get worse before the end of the school." The latter may be true, but I like to follow my friend's sunnier statement. May I offer a virtual hug?
    I hope that your day was better today. (not sure what today is in different parts of the world) I am writing this on Tuesday at 8:45 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today is the day your friends encourage you.
    Today is the day to know you are real, real enough to care about kids and not just a curriculum.
    Today is the day you do fit in with a writing community who appreciates you, learns with you, and feels your struggle.
    May today be an encouragement.
    BTW, I love your reoccurring line. The varied sentences and precise words really brought out your emotion and drew us in. Sending you a hug and a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, the life of a middle school teacher. It's so difficult but at times can be so rewarding. This is the toughest time of the year. Hope spring break will give you new energy.

    ReplyDelete