Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

MY BEATLES


Slice of Life Tuesdays are hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS
Bill Maher once said that dogs are the only beings that will unconditionally treat us like we are The Beatles every time we walk in the door.  It’s so true.


As soon as I opened the car door and stepped into the garage I could hear his barking.  I tried to hurry through the process of gathering my bags from the car just to get inside and return his greeting.  Roosevelt (Roo for short) is a yorkie-poo who is not known for patience. 

I opened the door from the garage, walked through the laundry room, and opened the door into the hallway.  Roo jumped up and pushed off of my thigh, Flashdance-style.  As happy as I was to see him, his positive energy is contagious, I immediately felt alarmed.  Where was his sister?

Although Aurora, our miniature schnoodle, doesn’t quite match Roo’s superfan intensity, she is usually a wiggling bundle of happy waiting at the door by his side.  Usually.

A few weeks ago, during a routine trip to the vet, we discovered Aurora has heartworm.  It is potentially fatal and even the treatment process can be fatal in some cases.  She is going to be uncomfortable for the duration of a month’s worth of medicine to be capped off by a series of two shots of very dangerous doses of the final potential cure.  Although we caught it at the earliest possible stage, the outcome is uncertain.  To make matters worse, it is directly my fault for not regularly giving her the preventive pills that are sitting in my cabinet, untouched.

Without even pausing to drop my bags, I rushed past Roo into the family room, bracing myself for imminent disaster.  My eyes quickly scanned the area rug, the couch, the recliner.  No Aurora. 

Finally, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a fuzzy butt wiggling frantically side to side at the back door silently pleading for it to open.  I rushed over and delivered relief. 

As soon as the sliding door was closed behind both dogs, I burst into tears.  The stress of the past moment had built up pressure behind my eyes.   I needed the release. 

This time, I waited on the other side of the door to smother them with kisses, petting, and superfan squeals of joy.  

the insert from our Christmas cards this year, featuring the Beatles

10 comments:

  1. I will keep my fingers crossed for your precious Aurora to respond to the medicine. May you forever feel like a Beatle when you walk through your door. I'm Paul...which one are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comparison to the Beatles. That's a wonderful reception you get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great. A very happy ending. I too love the comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for Aurora's illness, Christy. What a worry for you & your husband. I loved your comparison. I had a friend a long while ago go through a nasty divorce & she said while many friends were supportive, the thing that saved her was her dog, every single day, greeting her with happiness, like your dogs. Best to you & Aurora.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a cat person and she never treats me like I'm the Beatles. Your post almost makes me want to get a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you know I love this post. I'm sorry about Aurora....hope all goes well with treatment...but love the happy ending to this post. I love Bill Maher and that quote of his....I often imagine Chloe screaming like a teenage girl when we come home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The unconditional love from your dogs is the best! So sorry for the pain for Aurora. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just put me through an emotional rollercoaster. I love the ending for this post. I hope that Aurora's health issues have an happy ending too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We adopted a "Katrina" dog some years ago who had heartworm...but he lived a good and long life. They don't call these critters "man's best friend" for nothing, do they? Let us know how she does....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just caught up on your last three posts. I enjoy your writing, your style. It pulls me in, hooks my heart, and makes me so glad I get to know you in person and on the screen.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete