Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

TODAY


Slice of Life Tuesdays are hosted by Two Writing Teachers

Today I was pulled out of my classroom, away from my students. 
Today I was trained by a representative from a computer-based learning company.
Today I was asked to make meaningful to my students a tool that goes against every grain of my teacher soul.
Today I had a ten-minute break, which I used to check my e-mail.
Today I found this quote tucked at the end of the electronic signature of a friend and colleague of mine:

“If you want to build a ship,
don't drum up people to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long
for the endless immensity of the sea”

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Today I was reminded why I am a teacher.
Today I was reminded that I am not alone. 

9 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when words capture what our hearts are feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saint-Exupery's words are ever so haunting & inspirational, Christy. Your story gave me goosebumps. I am so positive that things happen directly when needed, like your finding that quote. Sorry for the 'other'. I have faith that your firm beliefs will prevail! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found the perfect words at the perfect time. Thank goodness for de Saint-Exupery!

    I was once faced with something being installed in my classroom. Lots of technology. It came with the promise of making kids become better readers. I had the luxury of asking to have it taken out. I felt that only I could help my kids become better readers. Thank G-d I was right. My principal took a gamble when I made that "bet", so-to-speak, and it worked. I think it's getting harder and harder for administrators to trust teachers when everyone's compensation is tied to how kids do on THE TEST.

    Keep fighting for what you believe in, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I have been reunited with the SOL stories, thoughts, and newly refreshed. Keep staying stong, my friend. MHG

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish I was around the corner or even in the next town so we could sit face to face and rant and rave and demonize those who believe that all any teacher needs is good technology. Many forget that the tech is a TOOL---Keep up the fight for what you know is right. And if you have to, keep your data. Keep responses from kids. Keep the faith. You'll be around long after this computer-based learning tool is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh . . . I think I know what computer based learning "tool" you are talking about . . . something with a compass and an odyssey? It was the be all, end all a couple years ago in my district and we learned about creating paths of learning. Really? I want to spend hours upon hours creating a path for each individual student when I want to -- need to plan specific, targeted mini-lessons in my classroom. That's where I want to spend my time. Face to face. Eye to eye. That's where the learning happens. Not a stinking computer program!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tool is just a tool, you use it when you really need it. A fancy technology tool is also just a tool. The quote is wonderful. It says it all.
    I like how you inserted the quote in the middle of the list. The difference enriched the structure.
    Thank you for your comment on my post. I hadn't heard of either book. I borrowed "Skellig" from the school library as soon as the librarian came. We didn't have the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so so loved this...especially because it ended on a note of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only remember one thing from the training...the logo for the Department of Multiple Choice which appeared about 30 minutes into the training. The tagline on the logo: "Creativity and Imagination are Overrated."

    I went to my happy place after that...

    ReplyDelete