Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

RESERVATIONS AND A SPIDER


SLICE OF LIFE is hosted by Two Writing Teachers


“Do you want me to make reservations for us for Tuesday night?” my husband asked me last week.

“Why would you do that?”

“Because it’s our anniversary and I wanted to do something nice for you.”

“Oh. Why don’t we just go out on Saturday night instead of squeezing it into a school night?”

“Because Saturday is the FIRE game.”

“Oh.”

“So….?”

At this point I get a bit of excitement in my voice as I have visions of our weekly ritual during our first year of marriage.  “Why don’t we…,” my voice suddenly drops off as the vision fades and reality sets in.

“What?” my husband asks, hopeful in response to my newfound excitement.

“Well, I was about to suggest that we have a candlelight dinner at home Tuesday night, but instead why don’t we just watch t.v. while we eat?  That’s what would be most relaxing for me.”

My husband chuckles at my honesty, “Sounds good to me!”

So, tonight, to celebrate our seven-year anniversary, I put off vacuuming the house, we ordered pizza, we sat and just talked to each other while we waited for it to arrive, then we watched a DVRed episode of Touch, one of our favorite shows, while we ate. 

And after dinner, he killed a spider in the basement for me.* 

Tonight I feel taken care of.  I feel the freedom, time, and space to be me.  I feel loved.

*my apologies to the spider and his family

16 comments:

  1. Ha! Some of our best anniversaries were just that, being together doing what we wanted. What a nice, nice story of you and your husband, Christy. (My daughter would appreciate the spider story.) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It sounds like my husband and I. Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This summer we took a hike for our 30th anniversary and then went to California Pizza Kitchen! A delightful day!
    How nice that he killed a spider for you! Our read aloud today was the spider chapter (The Liberation of Gabriel King). I love doing the screaming when Gabriel feels the spider drop onto him. Probably because I too detest spiders. One of my students was actually worried about the classrooms on either side of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice! Together is what is most important-in each other's company! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the time together that really matters! I suspect that MOST people who make it to their 50th anniversary would share similar stories about what is most important. For several years, my husband and I shared what we refer to as CYO anniversary dinners - a steamed hotdog and a bag of chips - at a CYO basketball game - because we were starving and we could not wait a moment more. Now that we have upgraded to Chinese take out, we still remember those CYO dinners - the last hotdogs we have eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your slice! Thank you for sharing your special day with us. Happy Anniversary to you both! The added spider snapshot reveals a true love moment - willingness to meet a need that brings relief and comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to both of you, Christy! Your husband did have a plan and remembered--the spider is the icing on the cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not about what you do or eat, it's who you are with. Love lives in your house. Happy anniversary (belated).

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect slice! I love the idea of staying in, chatting, eating pizza and curling up on the couch for some TV. As Elsie said, it's all about who you are with - that makes the day special. Thanks for sharing - and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary. ;)

    I love your last line -- I hope you knew it was a good one when you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! Not much is needed when you are with the person you love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary. Thanks for letting us all celebrate with you! Sounds like a fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it great that after 7 years you really know how to celebrate! And it gets better and better. I'm not sure I like your "7 year itch" - Go Away Awful Spider!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dialog was so real. Your husband loves you, and he kills spiders. I loved your apology to the spiders family :)

    ReplyDelete