Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I WILL {NOT} MISS HER


Slice of Life is hosted by TWO WRITING TEACHERS


I will miss her because she is the one at work who I can really answer when she asks, “How are you?”

I will miss her because she is truly reflective about her practices as an educator.

I will miss her because she is like the younger sister I never had.

I will miss her because she is passionate about reading, writing, speaking, listening, teaching, and learning.

I will miss her because she is always working for students, not against them.

I will miss her because she knows my flaws and likes me anyway.

I will miss her because we collaborate with an ease I have never found in another colleague.

I will miss her because she pushes my thinking forward.

I will miss her because she truly gets workshop-style middle school language arts instruction.

I will miss her because she inspires me to be enthusiastic about school events, to teach better, to live better.

I will miss her because I know her flaws and like her anyway.

I will miss her because she is moving to the administrative center to become a curriculum coordinator.

I will miss her because she is my friend.

I will not miss her because she will always be my friend—even if she is no longer right next door.

12 comments:

  1. I'm sad for you. We all need that person "right next door" who make us a better teacher. I love the way you listed all the ways you will miss her. It makes a great poem. I hope she reads your blog and sees this! It will mean a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a soulmate at school is so important to remain inspired through all the mandates and changes. I'm sorry you've lost her on a daily basis, but at least she is still accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful good-bye. Things will change. For both of you. I like that you have that note of hope in the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would we do without this kind of friend? I'm sure she is making room for another such soul, not just exactly the same, but just as meaningful. Have an interesting year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first, I held my breath expecting the worst...but then I see that your friend has simply moved to another building. Sad for you on a work day basis...but you still have her to connect with. What a great relationship you two have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about my AP who moved to a new position this year. Her cheer and her ability to see the best in students was so wonderful to witness every day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the list you created is the picture of an AMAZING colleague! You are so lucky to have someone like that, and so lucky that she will still be in your life, even if not quite so conveniently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww shucks. You captured so many big feelings in such a simple list. She'll need you as she moves away from her classroom with a door.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a wonderful way to pay tribute to a BFF as the kids would say. There is such as strong bond formed over shared conversations, hopes and dreams

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sad for you...but these things happen...and we learn and grow from them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hard to say goodbye to someone so special to you at work, Christy. You've written a lovely list for her. I hope you'll share with her, & also hope you'll find someone else to begin a close relationship with. It is needed, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are going to think I am cyber-stalking you, but the last three entries are wonderful! I haven't been on in awhile and I haven't been writing, and you have inspired me to get back to it...I must admit though I am ~not~ missing you as well though so I hope we touch base soon! : )

    ReplyDelete