Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

MORNING ROUTINE


Slice of Life Tuesdays are hosted by Ruth and Stacey at their Two Writing Teachers blog.



It is dark at 5am.  But I force myself to brave the remnants of night anyway.

My eyes burn for more sleep at 5am.  But I remind myself of the energy my escape promises to generate.

I pull myself out of bed and into the light of the bathroom to throw my hair into a ponytail, brush my teeth, cleanse my face, and put in contacts.

I quietly sneak around the darkened bedroom to tug on clothes.

I sip some water and stretch in the living room, much to the surprise of two sleepy pups. 

In minutes, I will slip out the garage door and into the cool misty air. 

I will shake off my nerves, shed my grogginess, and succumb to the beat of my ipod’s music. 

I will run. 

10 comments:

  1. Good for you Christy! I so admire people who are able to commit to this every day. Your verbs really put movement into this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered why you were up so early, maybe a very long commute? But the running is a better reason. Good for you, Christy. Exercise gives us such energy. Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I'm not sure I could face it at 5 in the morning. I admire you for that. I'm better with a slow walk with Chloe after school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, good for you! It takes a heck of a lot of character to do this at 5 a.m....when I can barely summon the energy to pour a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To get up so early to go running - impressive. This writing moves me through the quietness of your house to the rhythm of running. When I have a choice between running and a bit more sleep - I choose sleep. I wouldn't mind a walk in the afternoon. Then again, nap in the afternoon sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even 15 minutes helps....I am with you....at 4:45 tomorrow....unless I hit the snooze...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so tense in the morning...and feel this need to get in my quiet building by 6. Maybe I could try 4:45 and see if I could start the routine. Knowing me I'd trip in the dark out there. I love the smells in the morning and I know I'd have more energy for the day. xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, I love this. I want to be doing this sooo bad right now. Running is such a freeing experience. 5 a.m. is a perfect time. That misty air is just for you. Breathe it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this piece too. It is a commitment, but the feeling you get after is worth it! I've been good about waking up early and heading downstairs to the treadmill - it just puts me in the right mood for the day and I feel that much better. So, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning - knowing you are up and running will help me keep moving too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make it sounds so simple and yet I have not returned to my routine since school has started. My treadmill awaits and I sleep...Maybe next week.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete