a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

EXHAUSTED


Boating, tubing, volleyball in the water, swimming, suntanning, snacking (on goodies like funnel cakes, Panini, fruit, and veggies), and breathing in fresh lake air all lead to one thing: 4 exhausted teenagers. This week, my husband and I are at my dad’s house in Indiana with our two nieces and their friends.

There is some confusion over the time here at the lake, since my dad’s house is right on the cusp of the central/eastern time zone change.  If you have a cell phone that changes automatically, you might be fooled into thinking it is an hour later than it really is. 

That’s what happened to the kids this morning.  When they thought they were waking up at 9, it was actually 8.  That made for a slightly longer day than they had planned.

After a morning of fun at the lake, Kyle walked back down the pier to lounge near the shore.  Soon after, Kadie, Niki, and Trevor followed.  Each collapsing in his/her own spot to rest.

Probably with visions of the taco night dinner Jane (my unofficial “stepmother”) has planned for us, Kadie turned to Kyle asking, “What time is it?” 

“About 2 o’clock,” Uncle Mark announced.

“We still have time to kayak to the sandbar,” Kyle responded.

Kadie jumped in to correct him and save Kyle the embarrassment, “It is not REALLY 2 o’clock.  Uncle Mark is just kidding.”

“No, he’s not.  It says 2 o’clock on my computer,” I clarified because although Uncle Mark may be a jokester, Aunt Christy can always be counted on to tell it like it is. 

“That’s it? It’s only 2?  You mean I am this exhausted at 2 in the afternoon?”

Yep.  Only 2 in the afternoon and we have 4 exhausted teenagers!


11 comments:

  1. Tell them take a nap and get back out to having fun!!! But I have to admitt, when you are outside in the sun with that lake air it is really too relaxing. It is very easy to fall asleep on the lounge chair. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious, Christy, must have been a late night too! Sounds like loads of fun there. Glad you're getting to have a good bit of R & R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...but they won't be exhausted for long!!!! You must be having fun, Christy.....which is what summer is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its the best kind of exhaustion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep--I am well aware of the 2:00 nap! Fresh air, swimming, late nights all lead to the wonderful lake tired feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! And you do "tell it like it is!" One the of the best things about you...I swear : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wondered what it would be like to live on the cusp of a time zone. (I've also wondered what it'd be like to live on the border of a country, but that's another thing altogether!)
    I hope you enjoy the rest of the time at your dad's house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to be young and be able to get fully refreshed from a cat nap or a short rest. The time mixup is funny - and reminds me how many times I have wished for an extra hour in the day. I'd like one right now. Have a wonderful time, restful or not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of summer should be in its own time zone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark is a jokester?
    Really?
    I barely noticed!

    ReplyDelete