Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

SUDDENLY


This week my dog’s bark suddenly sounds sweeter.
The pooch belly I’ve been amassing suddenly looks thinner.
The bathtub in desperate need of a good scrubbing suddenly appears shinier.
The list of delicious television shows on the DVR suddenly seems longer.
The pile of papers to be graded suddenly seems more inviting.
The tan on my legs suddenly glows darker.
The stack of book reviews waiting to be written suddenly tugs at me stronger.
The clothes in my closet suddenly fit better.
The hair I’ve been trying to grow out suddenly feels longer.
Could it be summer is suddenly near?

9 comments:

  1. I love your last line tying them all together. It is fun to think about what our own lists for the same final line (or a similar line about another milestone) would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Sunshine and freedom do a lot to change our attitudes, don't they. By the way--first book I read was "A Monster Calls". You were right---fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. :) Glad you are writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer is here for me. Thanks for sharing and reminding of the simple pleasure of having time to enjoy myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! You've said it all! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything seems possible when summer is around the corner, I love that feeling of freedom! I hope your days continue to get sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ultimate in rose-colored glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your list makes me laugh every time I read it, especially the pooch belly. All things appear so much better when you know life will change soon and you can sit back and savor the moment. Ahhh. . . summer approaches

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can feel the tension disappearing and a wave of relaxation moving over in the list getting you ready for the summer. Now, that I finished the report cards, I believe the next five days of school will feel short and quick. i can't wait to have time for reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete