Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT


As it turns out, when you find yourself excited about your data with a soul, it might be a good idea to keep your mouth shut.  Just saying.

Even when the school board is on the verge of approving hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of spending and major teacher cutbacks to put a computer-based “superhuman” intervention program in place, you might want to keep your classroom successes to yourself.  Even if your success can be proven with the very numbers they seem to live and breathe.  Just saying.

I mean, you might be interested in attending an academic committee meeting with the bosses of your world, but you might want to reconsider.  Did you know those meetings are really stressful and they last about three times longer than scheduled?  Did you know you will be allowed to speak only when spoken to, even if it means you do not get the opportunity to fully explain your point?  Just saying.

And that academic committee meeting just might lead to a follow-up meeting where you have to sit down with the superintendent (read: SUPERINTENDENT) one on one.  That just might terrify you.  For good reason. Just saying.

And next week when you have that one on one meeting with the superintendent (still read: SUPERINTENDENT) you might want to make sure you stick to your script.  Given how much you love your job, you surely don’t want to say something stupid and give the boss of your world a reason to envision a target posted square on your back.  Just saying. 

15 comments:

  1. You're my hero. Just sayin'. Consider it a rebel alliance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be brave. Stay calm. And yes, stick to the script if you have to in order to keep your job. Those kids need you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you have data that shows effectiveness of a caring human you should be allowed to shout it from the rooftops. It makes me sad to learn that is not the news some want to hear. Just sayin'.
    Please shout and share all the data you want here, we celebrate with you. Good luck, you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are certainly all on your side, Christy. I respect your take on this, but it could be that the SUPERINTENDENT wants you alone so he can ask you to tell your real story, data included. He might personally be impressed at what little he has heard & want to get more ammunition to make the case for money (when he goes one on many with the Board). Just Sayin'! And I'll be thinking of you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jus' saying' you are brave-and you can handle it! Jus' sayin'...my friend and I were talking about 6 word memoires tonight and two of her favs she read to me were, "Why me? Why not? Why ask?" and "Looked for answers, found new questions"..."good luck with meetin', jus' sayin'" "rock it out, know you can"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds to me like the voice of reason, but I know that you will say what has to be said for the kids' sake. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christy, show off that "data with soul" of yours because the superintendent can't deny data! (especially if it has soul) Sounds like you made a serious impact at those "bosses of your world" meetings, so you are already ahead of the game. I can't wait to hear all about your rendezvous with the superintendent. Don't let the "super" in "intendent" intimidate you...and NEVER keep your mouth shut! :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your voice has too much power to ignore. Eventually you learn that keeping my your shut costs a lot. Kids don't get services they need. Bigots think you agree with their views and you're now a bigot. The list goes on and on...and with each mouth shutting you get smaller and smaller until you become almost unrecognizable to yourself. Just sayin' don't let that happen to you. (full disclosure - I did get fired when I was about 23 years old and it was because of my big mouth - I have learned to slip a little honey in as I speak, but shutting up? Nah.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are reasoning with yourself. Your mind says one thing. What does your heart say? Then again, which one to listen to? I so hope that Linda is right and the superintendent is a human who wants to listen and understand the data with soul.
    You have done a super job with these kids and the data supports you. I wish you could dance and sing publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your "data with a soul" and any of the "bosses", including the SUPERINTENDENT, should love it too. Surely any educator can see that what you have done for your students is worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ROCK! just sayin' Don't really have a connection about the whole "superintendent" thing though... our school is so small the principal is also the SUPERINTENDENT and he's a bit of a...ummm NOT sayin! lol I think your superintendent will be amazed at the wonderful things you have done for these children. The data DON'T lie! lol Good Luck Christy. You are in my thoughts.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying all goes well. I read your precious post and it sounds like your kids are really getting the material.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking about you. I read your post last week, but wasn't ready to respond and then life got a little busy. (Wait, when does life never feel busy??) Anyways, I'm so proud of you and my only hope is that others see the connections you are making with kids and that it is more than a one-day test score. Best of luck and keep doing what you do best!

    Just sayin' you are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you've taken Brene Brown's message into the very heart of your work. I believe those stories you have shared are the most meaningful data we can collect and that when we connect those stories to the data we're supposed to collect - the points - up or down - really say something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Genuinely no matter if someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other users that they will help, so here it takes place.
    Here is my web-site ; africanmangoplusdirect.com

    ReplyDelete