Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

GOODNESS AT THE GROCERY STORE


The past week of my life has been filled with goodness.  My mom’s plane landed safely…four times!  My treasured colleague who was suddenly bumped when her position was changed ended up safely back in a position at our school.  My meeting with the superintendent led to the opportunity to extend my work to other middle schools in our district.  A former student invited my husband and I to attend his National Honor Society Induction and told us how he wouldn’t be there if not for our work. 

Now that is goodness.  But you know what else is goodness? When you are at the grocery store (I know it doesn’t seem all that good right now, but wait…just wait) stepping out of line with a cart full of purchased food when you are starving (keep waiting, the food is better, but that is not the truly good part) and you hear the surprised gleeful cry of your name (not your first name, but the one you are only called when you are surrounded by middle school students—your teacher name) followed by hugs, “We talk about your class all of the time,” “Did you use my letter about literature as an example this year?  What did your students think of it?” and best of all—“I miss you.”

Every once in awhile a teacher deserves to feel like a rock star.  At the grocery store.  Now that is goodness.

15 comments:

  1. Goodness YES!! What a happy moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, that is goodness, Christy. I'm glad for you. It's just those little things that are the best. And congratulations about the extending your program to other schools. That sounds like a very, very big deal to me. I remember you were nervous about the meeting, & it came out terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goosebumps is what your writing gave me tonight. Kids make our life interesting. Congrats on your super recognizing a great program he's got happening in his district. Good things are happening for you. I hope they continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to the grocery store. Two of my former students work there, and I love keeping up with their lives. They are seniors this year - my first group of sixth graders to graduate! And this past week I ran into a mom of one of my third grade students who is now a junior in college and a soon-to-be-drafted professional baseball player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Every once in awhile a teacher deserves to feel like a rock star." What a fantastic window to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome!

    I am so happy right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every once in awhile a teacher deserves to feel like a rock star.
    So true...especially when the cheering squad is composed of your students!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Landing, safely back, opportunity, invited - all positive words in a growing pattern. I am thrilled that your dreaded meeting turned into a BIG step forward. The paragraph about the grocery store encounter made me chuckle. The brackets made it extra engaging to read.
    Go teacher star! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness surrounds you and you deserve it! Way to be the rock star teacher and way to embrace the title! It's good to feel good. I'm smiling along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are indeed a rock star...and a building block..or maybe ever a corner stone at the same time! It's nice to reflect on the great things we do!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you are a rock star! I love seeing students outside of school; they are amazed that I actually have a life :) The best is when the students you had the most challenging times with, come back to visit.

    Thanks for sharing, Christy. Long time no write! Where ya been?

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU are a rock star! I'm so happy about all your goodness!
    Tammy


    First Grade @ Klinger Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You ARE a rock star! I'm glad you're starting to realize it, Christy!

    I had a moment of kindness at the grocery store this past week when we were in DC. I was on the express line at Whole Foods in Dupont Circle buying just a container of milk when everyone else (e.g., non-tourists) were picking up quick dinners. There was a malfunction with the cash register caller and I went up to a register that wasn't actually for me. The guy behind me on line, who looked tired from a day at the office, happily let me go ahead of him, knowing about the malfunction. Your story of goodness at the grocery store is different than my story of kindness, but it made me think about how things count when we reflect on them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Argh! Just lost a LONG comment I left to you Christy. (Blogger keeps telling me service is unavailable. Sigh.)

    Anyway, YES, you are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete