Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

BREAK


Sometimes you just need a break. 

This week is my spring break.  So far it has been filled with just the things I needed, like:

Finding myself in someone else’s well-crafted words like these:
“There’s part of me that wants to discuss my past, why I don’t talk much, outer space even, everything, but it’s like my mind is a fist and it’s always clenched tight, trying to keep the words in.”

Working with my husband in the yard on mowing, mulching, and straightening our river rock borders.

Taking exceptionally long walks with my dogs along the nature trails behind the Village Hall near our house.

Running into Becky Anderson of Anderson’s Bookshops while shopping at Trader Joe’s and stopping her to tell her I just finished Cracked by K.M. Walton per her recommendation at the Illinois Reading Council Conference in Springfield. 

Laughing with my sister-in-law and my nieces on Easter over our overuse of the phrase, “That’s out of hand!”

Watching old episodes of Quantum Leap since the concept of the show Touch and Scott Bakula’s role on Desperate Housewives reminded me what a cool show Quantum Leap really was. 

Getting a phone call from my mom, instead of having to call her, because she doesn’t have to worry about taking time away from me on a school night. 

Indulging my love of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (in moderation, of course).

Shaking words loose from the tight grip of the fist in my mind that has been holding them in so tightly. 

9 comments:

  1. Good for you--doing the things you love over break. Sometimes--most of the time--it's what our brain needs. That last line is killer, by the way. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great break ...except for that yard work part...that sounds like work:)
    Glad your break was nice but I for one am glad you are back.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Christy for taking the time you needed. It seems that you did some really fun things, sort of planned, but not scheduled, just okay stuff. Nice to hear from you, & that you loosened up some words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another voice to say I'm glad to read that you've taken some time to recuperate and take some time to relax. The end of school looms and you will need all your energy to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment about the phone call from your mom made me smile - that is a favorite part of my break too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "tight fist" is such a whole life thing sometimes...breaks help loosen the grip in so many aspects of our lives. Glad to see you are taking time to breathe and do what you never have time to do...especially take a call from your mom! We forget how much our lives affect how others live theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, we need breaks throughout the year, don't we? For this very reason of the tight fist in our brains . . . love, love, love that last line. (Scribbling it in my notebook now.) A 'nudge' to shake those words . . . you've got them, so let them be free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the quote and the way you started and ended with reference to it. Sometimes I feel that way too.
    Quantum Leap! One of the few TV shows I used to watch on a regular basis. It was so fun to see where Scott would leap.
    Glad to hear that you're doing some of your favourite things on your break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you have enjoyed your spring break. - these words sound do bland, but I mean them. I have missed you and your writing.

    ReplyDelete